1 finger per fret, almost impossible for me

I have to microshift, although now working on Simandl I must say it is really helpful in the 1-4 fret area, wish I knew about it before some Jamerson covers where he 1-3 1-3 1-3s up the strings and back a lot.

4 Likes

What are you using for Simandl instruction.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know about @John_E but I just naturally gravitate to it.

2 Likes

Ditto

1 Like

Live lessons and thisā€¦

O492 - New Method for the Doubleā€¦ Amazon.com

1 Like

Thanks for that advice

That looks like an interesting book. However, my reading list is piling up. For example, Iā€™ve had the new Ariane Cap book for a month and havenā€™t even read the first page yet.
As far as Simandl technique, I think the way Iā€™ve been doing it will suffice. It seems to be working for me, so thereā€™s no sense trying to re-learn it.

Thank you.

1 Like

I also have an ulterior motive here, my new instructor is also an upright bass teacher. :wink:

3 Likes

I use whatever sounds good and requires the least energyā€¦ because iā€™m lĢ¶aĢ¶zĢ¶yĢ¶ efficient :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ha!

Iā€™d love to tell myself that, but Iā€™d be lying; I definitely have styles I gravitate towards. I need to work on pinky coordination more if I want to break that.

I do use just my pinky often to reach a 4th fret, but I would definitely not call myself a OFPF player in general - I am much more gravitated towards a 3-fret, Simandl-like box.

2 Likes