3 Beginner Bass Riffs (You Can’t F*** Up)

Looks like Jah Wobble isn’t on their latest album (2018!), no idea if he’s touring with them, that would be great though.

2 Likes

Yeah, Idk for sure

1 Like

Let me try, I’m sure I can make a total mess of them, lol.

3 Likes

Haha, quite a few people in the Youtube comments have claimed they successfully made a mess. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Hey Josh,
You must have been watching my Bass covers​:joy: and that has swayed you towards the fenders​:rofl::joy:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Looked at the tabs and taught myself… Then went back and watched the vids and picked up a new trick lol. I have a different technique (relying on my plucking hand) for the short notes, but I’ll start practicing your way (fret hand releasing pressure to prevent it ringing). Forgot how much I enjoy watching your vids!

4 Likes

Yeah, the fretting hand muting is a lot more versatile than the plucking hand muting, so it’s worth exploring. I talk about that in this video too -

5 Likes

Is there a way to avoid the fret buzz when muting with the fretting finger? For me it’s most noticeable on the A string around the 5th fret (most of Bad Moon Rising for example). It gets a bit better if I lift faster, but still very noticeable.

3 Likes

This takes practice. When you lift the finger, it’s actually a two-stage process - release the fretting pressure but leave your finger sitting on the string to kill the vibrations for a moment, and then lift the finger.

This works for 80% of the frets. On frets where there is a natural harmonic, this will sometimes ring the harmonic. In that case, you then slide your finger a little into the next fret.

Or just let the harmonic ring. Harmonics are cool.

With practice you’ll get faster and smoother until it is second nature. It takes quite a while. Like, I don’t think anyone ever becomes perfect at it, at least not for a long time.

6 Likes

I’m talking about the fret buzz, not the harmonic

5 Likes

So am I :slight_smile:

You lift the finger fast, and then hold the finger there a moment to kill the remaining string vibration.

Omitting either step causes problems. Lift the finger too slow, fret buzz. Miss pausing holding the finger there, and you mute poorly because you just kind of did a pull-off because you lifted fast.

6 Likes

Oh ok. Well that’s what I’ve been doing, but as I said I can’t get rid of the buzz no matter how fast I lift. Guess then maybe I’m still not fast enough.

6 Likes

Another thing I have noticed is the buzz part is worse if I have been fretting too hard. Not sure if that’s correlation or causation though.

5 Likes

@akos Have you had a setup done on your bass? If not, that could add to having trouble in only one area of the fretboard.

4 Likes

Ah, that fight against those rattling strings :sweat_smile:
I’m in it especially for the low string low fret notes, but it’s a good reminder I have to improve my fretting… and low action isn’t very helpful either :laughing:

4 Likes

Also, I wonder. Is the buzzing you are getting coming thru the amp? or is it just something you hear from the string and neck / fret itself?

2 Likes

Yes it’s audible on recordings as well

2 Likes

Just checking. I run low action, and I get buzz sometimes that does not get picked up by the amp or the DAW, so I thought maybe you just here it since you are close to the sound source, but if it is picked up, then you are on the right track trying to figure it out.

2 Likes

Try Psycho Killer in 12 Bar Blues format… :grin:

And don’t forget to come up with a turnaround

1 Like

This is one of my all time favorite videos and I keep coming back to it.
I often end a practice session with this video as sort of a warm down (or at times a pick me up if what I practiced felt extra challenging.)
I have aspirations to play Psycho Killer in its entirety.
I appreciate 21 Guns more than before.
I have also noticed that when I play Walk on the Wild Side that the low part sounds better on my fretless and that the high part sounds better on my fretted bass.
I also hope that this video gets unblocked in the UK so that more bass players can enjoy this.

3 Likes