4/8 Ohm Impedance Explanation

Yes. That worked very well. Thanks. I feel a case of GAS coming on because I have to send my GK off to be worked on and I’m considering a separate head/cab rig. I’m looking at a bassblock 802 with 2 ea Ampeg PF115 LF cabs. That’s 800 watts at 4 ohms split to 400 watts to each cab with a power handling capability of 400 watts RMS each. Result: No smoke or destruction, possible hearing loss. :o)

4 Likes

Passed on the bass block. Got Ampeg pf800 instead…

4 Likes

What was the deciding factor?

3 Likes

I decided I didn’t like all of my cords hanging out of the front of the head. PLUS Sweetwater music had an open box display unit of the PF 800 for $70 off and everything but the instrument cable plugs in the back.

6 Likes

Also, a cool feature of the Ampeg cabinets is a flip top and the PF 800 will mount to the lid. Pull up Ampeg’s PF 115 HE and check it out. A really good idea, IMHO.

5 Likes

Thats a pretty cool design, great looking too.

3 Likes

I thought the same thing. I’ve read a lot about people loving the sound of the BassBlock but I am put off by the external design. Yes, the fliptop is pretty cool.

4 Likes

Ohm my God…I’m lost… just give me enough power to drown out those silly little six string things and those empty oil drums covered with some kind of skin when they all get LOOK AT ME…LOOK AT ME Rumble rules!!! those other players are just support folks whether they know it or not…:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :crazy_face:

5 Likes

My guy finally did a video on this exact question and also explains the counterintuitive math behind it.

3 Likes

Hi…this “4-8” assignment implies that the speakers are for the most part 8 ohms, yet periodically 4 ohms.

The most reduced a drivers impedance will go is the DC opposition of the voice loop, which is normally about 75% of the evaluated impedance; so around 6 ohms for a 8 ohm speaker. Notwithstanding, when you add the acoustic stacking of the speaker confine and the stage moves the hybrid organization, it is conceivable that the impedance may drop somewhat underneath the DC opposition at certain particular frequencies.

3 Likes

@AsaGong Welcome to the BassBuzz forum.

When you have time, join us on the Introduce Yourself! thread.

I’ve learned enough to be able to choose speaker cabinets for my bass and be confident I won’t destroy anything, but almost everything you said in that paragraph is beyond me and I’m okay with that.

My guess is there’s less than a handful of people on the forum that could read that paragraph with any significant understanding. I counted at least seven terms I’m not familiar with. :rofl:

3 Likes

Whew! I’m glad I’m not the only one LOL

4 Likes

Yeah I got nothing

4 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

Trying to understand this 4/8 ohms thing. The Markbass Little Mark 250 head has the following output power:

250W RMS @ 4 ohms / 150W RMS @ 8 ohm

So with that in mind, one would be better off buying the 4 ohm version of their Traveler 102P cabinet rather than the 8 ohm, correct? Because then you get 250W rather than 150W? At Andertons the 4 ohm is currently only £10 more than the 8 ohm, so that would be a no-brainer I assume. Can someone confirm my understanding is correct?

1 Like

Your understanding is correct but if you buy the 4 ohm cabinet you won’t be able to add another cabinet to your stack. For example if you buy another 4 ohm cabinet and you connect them in parallel the minimum load from your amp will go below 4 ohm (something like 2.* ohm). The Markbass amp minimum load is 4 ohm so you won’t be able to do that.

However if you buy an 8 ohm cab and you add another 8 ohm cabinet then the minimum load will be 4 and you can power both cabinets with your amp. Altho the provided watt would be low but it will most likely be loud enough anyway. You can always upgrade to a more powerful amp in the future.

Personally I would only buy a 4 ohm cabinet if I am 100% sure that I won’t want to expand or if my amp can handle a 2 ohm minimum load. My advice would be to go with 8 ohms for these size of cabinets. For 2x12, 4x10, 8x10 and similar size cabs/fridges I would start thinking about using 4 ohms. IMO.

@DaveT is really knowledgable about this kind of stuff.

2 Likes

This calculator might help you understand it better when you consider to add another cabinet to your stack. You can forget about series since almost all connections are parallel.
https://www.speakerimpedance.co.uk/?act=two_parallel&page=calculator

2 Likes

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks, that’s really useful.

Coming from a slightly different angle - I was also looking at the TC Electronic BH800 head. As that’s 800W, do you have to be careful to choose a cab that can handle that much wattage? I don’t generally see that information when browsing cabs. Would the same Markbass Traveler 102P work with that amp?

3 Likes

Yeah so TC Electronics is always a bit secretive with showing the ohms of the amps. In this case the BH800 can provide 800 watt at 4 ohms and 400 watt at 8 ohms. So in this case it would be a perfect match with the Markbass Traveler 102P 8 ohms.

Don’t worry about having a powerful amp, it will just give you more headroom to play with. Just be wary when you turn the volume to the max. You have to consider that even having the volume on 3 with such an amp is gonna be REALLY loud lol.

2 Likes

+1
Paul speaks the truth.

2 Likes