4 sting or 5 string bass?

I really enjoy all the Bassbuzz videos on YouTube and I’m very close to pulling the trigger to sign up to the B2B course but… I own a 5 string bass and I want to know if that will pose a challenge in taking the course?! Should I go at it with a 5 string or should I invest in a 4 string? Please, someone help me…

5 Likes

You’ll be fine with a 5 string.

6 Likes

I believe @PamPurrs did the course with a 5 string. She should be able to offer some insight.

7 Likes

Thanks for your input Joe. Much appreciated

3 Likes

Yeah I believe so too. B2B May very well be my Christmas gift to myself.

6 Likes

I play 5 to the point that I find it confusing to play 4 but this course is great for everyone 5 or 4.

5 Likes

I did the entire B2B course on fiver. That’s all I’ll play.

7 Likes

Thanks Pam. Did you enjoy the course?

3 Likes

yup ok

3 Likes

The feeling is mutual sir lol

3 Likes

Yes I did, very much.

5 Likes

I started from scratch on the 5. Eventually I switched to a 4, and it was really for tone reasons and because I just wanted another bass. That said, initial learning on the 5 taught me some techniques (like muting) that have carried over. For example, I don’t play with that laid back, arm flopped over, bent wrist that most players have, and who subsequently complain about carpal tunnel. I floating thumb, keeping my wrist in line with my forearm. That doesn’t mean it’s the right way or you should do it. If you’re on the 5, it’s a good technique, and will have other benefits.

As far as the course is concerned, you won’t find things specific to the 5, and you’ll have to figure out how to really incorporate that B into your routine. That should also be beneficial to you in the long run.

End of the day I’m glad I started on the 5.

5 Likes

I started on a 4, and have gone back and forth between 4 and 5. Mostly I didn’t enjoy the 5 like I had hoped, but there was no problem translating skills back and forth.

5 Likes

That’s been my case! :grin:

1 Like

Have just started the B2B course on my 4 string Harley Benton, already thinking about getting a 5 string for that lower fat sound :scream:

5 Likes

I did the entire course on a 6’er, no problems. Pretty much everything Josh teaches is “transportable” across strings!

4 Likes

It’s not bad.

Pro: You can use the B string (fattest one) to rest your thumb on, as you won’t need it for the course.

Con: Puts the strings a bit closer together which, depending on the person, might make a few techniques (slapping) a bit harder when switching strings.

4 Likes

I consider that a pro. I love having the strings close together, making string jumping much easier.

4 Likes

Yeah it varies depending on the player and techniques used. I have fat sausage fingers, so more space, especially when using a double thumb slap, is easier. I play a six string too, so I’ve adjusted, but I find a lot of songs much easier on a 4.

2 Likes

So true. I like the 5-string because the lower 4 strings are just a bit easier to reach. When I play my 4-string I’ll put my finger through the giant canyon between the strings until I remember what I’m holding.

3 Likes