5 curious šŸ™ƒ

Having bought a really nice 4-string bass a couple of months ago and thought I was done, after all, the bass I bought is freakinā€™ fantastic!

But now Iā€™m getting 5-curiousā€¦. I posted a cover last week, where the original was recorded using a 5, meaning I had to improvise around the low notes and I was learning different song today that goes down real loooow.

Yes, I can play a higher C, a higher D, butā€¦.

Help, what should I do?! šŸ«Ø

5 Likes

Hipshot Bass Extender, if you donā€™t go lower than D!

4 Likes

maybe set up a 4-string in BEAD ? this has been my choice, over a 5-string. but a 5-string still has solid arguments.

5 Likes

We got some threads about this on the forums. For example Another 4 bass or a new 5 strings bass?

4 Likes

Iā€™m also having thoughts about adding a 5 string to my collection of one. Iā€™m trying to convince my wife and wallet that it will make sense why I need it, once I have it.

For me itā€™s just that low, low growl of a B string that really makes me itch.

4 Likes

this is what I did on my 2nd P Bass about a month agoā€¦Im yet to have any issues with missing the G for the songs I play on it, and now I am learning a few 5-stringer songs I had been wanting to play earlier but had to put off, so it has been fun

5 Likes

:100: - just restring one of your 4-strings as BEAD.

4 Likes

Bead is a really good option. If you have a second bass, you can resting it for the cost of a set of strings. If you like it, go for the fiver if you still have gas

5 Likes

Why buy one when you can have two twice the price, :laughing:

6 Likes

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

12 Likes

Still is. :joy:

5 Likes

I have been ā€œ5 curiousā€ more times than I care to count. Each time I feel it I wind up with a new 5ā€™er, and revel in its awesomeness. I shake the ground chugging on the open low B string.

And then I realize that I donā€™t really play any music that would benefit from a 5ā€™er, so the awesome, booming low B string becomes a thumb rest. Then I eventually stop playing the 5ā€™er and switch back to one of my 4s. Then I wind up selling the 5ā€™er for pennies on every dollar I paid for it. :smiley:

8 Likes

Thanks Tim. Your second paragraph saved me from saying the same.

Iā€™ve played 4 string basses my entire life but got asked to do some recording where a 5 string would work better. Ordinarily Iā€™d borrow one like I have at times with a fretless but I found a really outstanding deal on one and bought it. Two years later and no longer needing that 5 string I sold it and replaced it with a similar 4 string version of the same brand. I donā€™t miss it.

Itā€™s all matter of personal choice but my suggestion is to first ask yourself how often you really need to access those few notes a 5 string provides and also whether or not youā€™re willing to alter your approach and technique to play a 5 string because they do play differently and youā€™ll think differently as well. Just one manā€™s opinion but based on my own experience and wanted to share.

5 Likes

Cost to BEAD an existing 4-string: $20 for the 5-string set, $3 for a small round diamond file to widen nut slots if needed

Cost to downtune to Drop D: Free, takes like 10 seconds with practice

Cost for a 5-string: $hundreds minimum

7 Likes

That first point assumes you have a spare 4 string bass hanging around or you donā€™t need a g string. Otherwise the cost for a BEAD and EADG bass is about the same as EADG and BEADG.

3 Likes

A second 4 string is a safer investment than a fiver. Meaning if you donā€™t like it you can just turn it back to 4 strings and now you have basses with two tones.

Youā€™re call. But even if you have 1 bass, for 20 bucks, you can turn it to BEAD, give it a whirl for a few weeks, because you can play a lot without a G string, and then put your old strings on and switch it back.

And you will know if you got five string fever or not.

3 Likes

I still beat myself up every time I need to drop my E string that I sold my Kubicki. Itā€™s simply the best solution for that. Youā€™d play every other string like normal just 2 more notes at the flick of the thumb. My next custom built Iā€™ll ask if that can be incorporated, or if I can find a great deal on a Kubicki, whichever comes first, :joy:

3 Likes

Thanks for all the comment!

There is a certain logic to BEAD and I do have three basses, one of which isnā€™t used a hell of a lot. As you all say, Iā€™d need new stings and a new nut. Itā€™s currently got a brass nut, so Iā€™d not really want to file that! I guess the alternative (which the CEO/CFO wouldnā€™t like) would be to go and buy a cheap, second hand bass and have a bash on that. Or, go and look for a cheap, second hand 5.

The trouble with the cheap, second hand though, is they could be cr@p!

Of course, I could always go &@Ā£! it and go and buy thisā€¦:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

ā€¦but I think my wife would divorce me! :face_with_spiral_eyes:

4 Likes

Since you are in England, would Thomann be an option for you?
Iā€™ve been looking a lot at their gear and I know Josh also reviewed a Harley Benton model and it came out either on top or a close second.

They even offer free shipping to England when itā€™s over 150 quid.

2 Likes

Blimey, thatā€™s just Ā£129 on the U.K. web site!

2 Likes