50 First Songs 100 Week Challenge

I tend to agree with this. I’ll probably stay away from the Post your Covers thread because it is so long and five people posting the same song at roughly the same time seems a bit like spamming it :wink:

Let’s see how many people will take part in this after all. And whatever we end up doing, it would be nice if people post a link to the thread in which they post in here so we can keep up the community feeling.

3 Likes

Alright, lets to a post per song thread then. That might also make it easier for those that come to the party late to see what others have done. In fact, it might make sense to have a thread to discuss the song as well as put videos in. e.g. I could make an “Another Brick in the Wall” thread now so we can start discussing the song and then the latter part of that thread will likely be videos of people playing it.

If this works out, I kind of see us as Wave 1 of many future waves. We are starting 8-Mar-2021, but another group might want to start Wave 2 in 3-6 months and start with the first song (Another Brick in the Wall) then for example. However, we should try to share the same individual song discussion/video threads across waves as that builds up a nice historical view of it. Maybe I’m jumping the gun here, but just trying to think of what could be ahead. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Exactly! Thinking about the future and how others might benefit is a really good idea. There is nothing more tedious than combing through hundreds of posts before getting to the point you are interested in. And this thread already has almost 80 posts. You could also link the song-threads in the introduction, so people can easily find where we are.
Thanks again for all the effort you put into this!

5 Likes

Linking song threads is a great idea! Not sure if there is room in the table, but I’ll try. I actually enjoy getting things organized like this. I do corporate strategy in my “real world” job, so sometimes its nice to just do something like basic organization. Therapeutic in a way. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Maybe namespace those threads so it’s easier to identify the context? Something like

[50s100c] Week 1 - Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall

Or something more readable :joy:, but you get the gist

4 Likes

Thread for the first song, Another Brick in the Wall has been made here. Please try to keep your discussions and videos to that thread. I’ll add a link in the master table in the 1st post in this thread and to the Google Drive Document.

6 Likes

This is awesome @JT – thanks for all your work putting this together. I was actually just saying yesterday that I needed to set more tangible goals for my practice/playing beyond “practice more” and that making a goal of learning a certain # of songs would make sense. So this is perfect. I’m down. Mark me down.

4 Likes

Yeah, glad to have you onboard. I always aim for this for my practice routine:

1/3 - Theory/Technique
1/3 - Covers
1/3 - Improv

Works for me, but I thought I might as well use the 50 songs to fill the covers bit. Glad others are along to keep me company. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That is what I was thinking about.
In fact, the way you prepared your lists and files in advance, you can already prepared a free of the threads in advance too.

We can probably be ahead by 3-4 some, do opening thread for the first 4 songs blue for people to discuss of they are already working on them, and then add the next one every t so weeks.

I love your concept of waves!

2 Likes

Ideally (in my mind), there would be a category dedicated to those threads. So, like there is a category for “Gear”, “Theory”, “Lounge”, etc, I feel like a “50 Song Challenge” category would:

• keep the threads together
  • not clutter up the other areas
  • keep all the threads organized, so others could find them later (vs them being all spread out in some other category)

I don’t know who the board moderators are in order to present the suggestion…

Thoughts?

4 Likes

I suspect they might not want to do that until they see what happens with it. But yes, something like a forum category might work. My worry is that we eventually have 50 active threads (if the waves thing catches on) and bombard the forum.

@y.farkash I’ll definitly make threads for the others in advance, but I’m trying to get the balance right. I’d happily create all of them now, but I don’t want to be seen as spamming the forums. But yes, I think it would be good to have a thread for songs 1-2 ahead of the one in the calendar. It’s just a matter of gating it though. Gating works well for a lot of people, because then they feel like they have adequate time to finish something and that they have a nice surprise when discussions open up for the next song. However, there might be some that want to do this challenge in 50 weeks instead of 100 weeks, so I’m considering those people too. Others might want to do one a month. We’ll just see how it goes and I’m sure a natural flow will develop. I think from the discussions though that one every 2 weeks will be the default and that’s what I think the majority of people taking part will be doing.

2 Likes

I think these categories already exist in the forum in general. If a larger gear or theory question comes up, it may be worth considering to search for a thread where this has already been discussed and then put a link in the song-thread. But of course the purpose of the song-threads is also to discuss these issues with regard to the song in question. Just something to bear in mind as an option.

Edit: Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. I was still in a bit of a sleepy mood.

3 Likes

Yeah, don’t jump too far ahead. This would kinda defeat the purpose of the schedule and going on this journey together. Maybe it’s just me but I really liked the idea of creating a little community and knowing that somewhere at the other end of the world a bunch of people are learning the same song at the same time. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, and the most interesting part will be to keep this up for a prolonged period of time. Really curious how this will develop.

5 Likes

@skydvr , our moderator is @JoshFossgreen

He takes care of decluttering and organizing the Forums . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Yeah, I thought there may be others - I figured he was busy enough already. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey all! Loving all the enthusiasm for this challenge!

I can definitely make this more organized for you guys - is the consensus that a new “50 Songs Challenge” category for all the threads would work best? Gimme some hearts on this post (or reply) and I’ll make it happen. :slight_smile:

33 Likes

Yeah, that would be great Josh. I kinda see it as becoming similar to the comments on your lessons. Just a persistent place where people can go to talk about each song in the list and do videos (if they so desire), even if they aren’t doing the challenge. I think it will keep the other categories from getting cluttered up and people can then mute the whole category if they aren’t interested in those threads.

6 Likes

Windows snipping tool…

2 Likes

Hell yeah! A great challenge and a good idea, and in an organized way!

And people can do the whole thing, or just drop in once in awhile and do a few songs.

Miss this place :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

another suggestion would be to start the thread with the recommended video to follow ? just a thought

2 Likes