Song 1 - "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd

Thanks for the explanation! Yes, that totally makes sense. I think this level of precise muting is just something that i don’t consciously do or pay much attention to at this point. I came across the harmonics in Josh’s Silent Night bass solo lesson but didn’t know that it is also something you could do by accident. Very interesting detail!

4 Likes

@JT A question/suggestion: Would it be possible to edit your top post when someone submits a cover of the song, and add a link to their comment? Or some other way to make the covers easier to find? I went over this thread to listen to other people’s covers, but they’re not easy to find among the discussion.

Edit: Obviously this is just a suggestion for improvement. Thanks for putting in the effort to set up this challenge, great stuff, etc etc. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s a great suggestion! It’s Mother’s Day today in the UK so can’t this second, but will do it later today or tomorrow.

Might also summarize the tips people have raised as well.

7 Likes

I particularly liked (the second time watching) their suggestion to record into a DAW with a click-track and find your natural tendency, and then you can start working on purposefully shifting when you want to.

I understand it better now so I might start working on this.

There is so much to learn and practice!

"Sign up to B2B, Life time of entertainment guaranteed!’

4 Likes

Here’s my submission using my MusicMan. I was going to do it on the fretless, but the EB was calling my name LOL. So here it is. Enjoy!

22 Likes

1st-time video, background music sounds crappie, I used my phone for video. I tried my best had a hard time loading the video. Couldn’t figure out how to load it. Old dog learning new tricks. Another brick in the wall part 2 - YouTube
Maybe I can get some help on loading the video from Android and using the right format to load it. Only did 2 runs at video. I know crappy job sorry, I tried. Thanks

14 Likes

Well done on that Retta! Few stumbles here and there, but we’re all still learning so no-one around here is expecting perfection. I could tell you were feeling the music and that’s great to see.

And your poster in the background fits with Pink Floyd as well. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Good job on this. Don’t worry about the quality of the video. We can still tell what is going on. The song itself was good. A few stumbles on rhythm, particularly the syncopation and rests, which can be challenging for all of us.

If you want help with recording then I’d recommend looking at some of the recording threads and adding you queries to that. I’m sure others will quickly come to your rescue. Or if you can’t find those threads then just start a new one. Anyway, great job on your first video and I look forward to your next!

4 Likes

Thanks, I was more frustrated just trying to load the video. Almost gave up. Hopefully, I can do better next time. :+1: :beers: :crazy_face:

4 Likes

No worries. Just think of it as you get to learn how to make videos in addition to bass. Two for one special! :laughing:

4 Likes

Yup, old dog learning new tricks. It can be done. Wof wof :dog2:

5 Likes

Great job @Retta75! You look comfortable in that arm chair.
:+1:

3 Likes

There are no crappy jobs here. That was well done. Plenty of info here on the forum for recording.
:+1:

5 Likes

Hahaha yeah. I love that poster. Before I did this video I was playing with my fretless so that explains the stumbles :wink: Thanks :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I know what you mean. I learned bass on a fretless and now just play fretted. Can’t imagine going back and forth. My brain probably would struggle with that. Particularly as on fretless you need to play on the fret and fretted you need to play just behind the fret…

3 Likes

It is comfortable, but the arms do get in the way so I have to sit on the edge, which gradually becomes uncomfortable LOL

4 Likes

Exactly! But it’s still fun :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think figuring out how to record myself with audio and video was WAY harder than learning this song!
That said, I am sure the mix is a mess, etc.
Can only get better from here, right?

For this one i used:
DAW - Abelton
DAI - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Bass - Fender CS '61 Time Machine P-Bass (tone rolled off)
Strings - Labella DTB Original 1954 Vintage 760M

I tried a few times using USB out of my Fender Rumble Studio 40 but got so hung up on trying to find the “right” tone I gave up and plugged the bass into the Focusrite. Next time will try via the amp.

19 Likes

I’m sure there are better ways, but what has worked for me is to slap the bass a couple of times at the start of the recording. Then import the audio and video into a video editor, line up the spikes at the slapping part, detach and delete the original audio from the video, and then remove the slapping part.

5 Likes

Thanks

3 Likes