Song 1 - "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd

Started learning the song yesterday. Real fun. How’s everyone else doing??

5 Likes

I have a guitar stool. I should try that. I’m just too lazy to bring it upstairs LOL

4 Likes

I’m loving it. Probably won’t record until next weekend though. Really nice having so many people involved.

4 Likes

I bought a couple of bar stools from Amazon a few months ago. Works great, just the right height.

4 Likes

Yeah I got mine from a music shop. I’ll go get it and try using that. Although I’m sure the cats will decide to make it theirs :wink:

2 Likes

Hey, Here is my rendition. I must admit I am not a big Pink Floyd enthusiast. Glad to join in on the challenge. I want to thank @enkhiel for offering the 5 string bass tabs to me and I want to thank @gcancella for helping with the backing track.

18 Likes

Nice job @y.farkash,
great tone from your bass,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Nice job @akos,
The only very minor thing i picked up was a little fret buzz on the slide up to the 12 fret, but besides that very nice.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Hi @Retta75,
Great to see you putting yourself out there and having a go.
There were some mistakes throughout the song, fret buzz, timing, a couple of missed notes etc.
The biggest thing i noticed IMO was the way you pluck the strings, i think if you practice on not trying to smash the strings this will clean your playing up heaps.
I used to do the same thing, and over time i really focused on letting the bass talk on its own rather than trying to make it scream.
I know this will help you improve your playing,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Nice first up effort @BigAl,
I noticed a couple of little areas in the transition from the C to the D on the A string, but besides those it was good.
Love the colour of your bass :+1:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Thanks.:beers:

2 Likes

Hi @John_E,
Great first up cover, a couple of tiny little mistakes.
Nothing to worry about, I wouldn’t try and record through the amp unless that’s what you want to do??
The tone you got going directly into the DAI was awesome and i love the tone from the bass, as well as it looking very cool with the covers on it.
I also like your album covers in the background, and i noticed one of my favourite albums as well, Boston.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

I could have done another take and it would no doubt have been better than that one, but I was tired and figured that was as good as it was going to get. I’d just been playing my fretless so I guess I was used to that, hence the fret buzz LOL.
What do you mean by smashing the strings??

4 Likes

Hi @Vegaswizzle,
nice first up cover, couple of little timing issues.
I liked the way you dressed up your bass for the video, looked really cool.
You have a nice relaxed style of playing, and i liked the tone of the bass.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Hi @Retta75,
When i look at the videos, i write my comments before reading everyone else’s.
This way i form my own opinion, and after reading Jerry’s comments and your response around the arm chair, this could also explain some of the reason around what i observed.
You may not be in a comfy position sitting on the edge??
Everyone has their own style of playing, and if this works for you that’s OK.
I just think by watching you play you appear to be very aggressive when plucking the strings, sometimes we do things without even noticing, and it takes someone to point out an opportunity for improvement, so please don’t take my comments as an insult, I only want to see you improve your playing.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

It’s all good, I just wasn’t sure what you meant about smashing the strings :slight_smile: I’m always happy to receive constructive criticism because I am a fairly new player but I’m not up on the lingo I guess haha. Also, I can be aggressive when its a song I’m really into. Like you said, I don’t even realize I’m doing it haha. I just play how I play :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey All,

Here’s my take. I wasn’t able to spend as much time with this as I would have liked, but I had fun doing this! I’m excited for the next song.

I look forward to watching everyone else’s takes.

Jay

26 Likes

I think what you were hearing is the bass overdriving the phone mic causing the song to drop out. Might be able to fix it by making the two roughly the same loudness.

I thought it turned out just fine though. :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks, I was wondering what was causing that.

2 Likes

Alright fellows, this took longer than expected and is not exactly my finest playing. But I’m quite happy with it and proud to add my “voice” to the wonderful choir that has emerged these past days! I’m really impressed with everybody’s playing and all your individual styles.
Had so much fun spending time with this song but now it’s time to let it go and move on to the next. (or even squeeze in some B2B lessons again…)
Enjoy!

EDIT: It really bugged me that audio and video weren’t synched in the video I uploaded last night. After spending ages to record, I got sloppy (tired) at the finishing line. So I spent a few more minutes editing this morning and here is an improved version.

28 Likes