Song 1 - "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd

Haha, you caught me! That’s a slightly informal, but not uncommon, way to represent “let the note ring as long as you feel like, Roger Waters” :stuck_out_tongue:

He’s playing a P bass with flats on the track, so the decay is faster than if you’re playing with roundwounds, so just mute or lower your volume to taste to fade!

Cool idea! Another way to make the counting easier is to feel a group of 4x, then feel the remainder as 3x, since we tend to feel phrases “complete” in groups of 2 or 4.

Haha I had no idea! Always imagined literal pudding.

Hey Michael! Like @Jazzbass19, brand new users can’t post links for anti-spam purposes, but I just manually bumped your trust level so you can. If you just throw a Youtube link on it’s own line, the forum will auto-embed it nicely!

10 Likes

Haven’t looked at recording yet, but played through with Songsterr 3 or 4 times yesterday. Need a lot more practice

3 Likes

Well technically this is the first day, just some of us got a headstart. So you still have two weeks before the next song starts. This song has a lot of repetition so it will fall into place after you play it a dozen or so times probably. I’m trying to memorize it, because I love the song, but also because when you memorize a song, it is easier to pay attention to other things going on. That’s completely optional though!

6 Likes

@JT is this challenge free or just for course members?

3 Likes

Outstanding! Thanks

2 Likes

Check this thread

Let’s keep this thread clear of anything not directly related to this song

6 Likes

Played through a bunch last night at lower bpms. My plan for the next 2 weeks is to work up to full speed. Agree with folks that the only 2 tricky parts are remembering that quick slide down to 12th fret, and remembering the 7 repeats. All in all though, pretty straightforward and fun so far.

3 Likes

Glad you are enjoying it. It’s a fun song to play and a good one to start with. Starting a lower BPMs is a great way to do it. I wish it had repeat section functionality as that would be useful too. I’ve used that on Songsterr Plus and it works well when you are just trying to nail a certain section. But, it’s still good enough, and changing the tempo helps a lot. My biggest surprise is that my wife actually wants to hear me play the song over and over. I think she likes hearing me play along to other songs as opposed to me just noodling around. It’s nice to get her involved in my playing. This is the beauty of learning covers though. It’s what people like to hear most of the time.

5 Likes

Nice JT. My daughters are not so enthused right now with my practicing. Reminds of the Simpsons clip where Homer decides he’s going to start playing the bass. Looking forward to hitting the full tempo, and then trying to play along with the actual song itself. My only concern is can I sync the tab and the song. Probably not…but at least there’s really only a few bars to learn…lots of repeats…should make things easy.

4 Likes

I just print out the tab and have it near when I play the full song. I find that the easiest for me. I think trying to hit Play on the online tabs and on the YouTube video at the same time would drive me batty. :laughing:

4 Likes

I tried just that. It got out of sync mid song

3 Likes

I am just playing along with Songsterr, and once I get that straight in my head, I will play with the video. That’s my plan

5 Likes

I think I tried to print out the tab, and failed miserably. Probably doing something wrong. Will try again…

1 Like

You need to screenshot it and print the screenshots. I’ll PM you to help.

2 Likes

I just played it through from beginning to end at full tempo and didn’t even miss the end of the guitar solo! :partying_face:

10 Likes

That’s great Regina! I’m enjoying playing it. I can play it through with the tab, but I have it about 60% memorized. Although, if I try to play it without a backing track, I lose my place. I find the backing track has so many cues in it that help me know where I am.

4 Likes

Had a bit of a setback. I snapped a string on my 5 string Saturday, and have been practicing on my 4 string Jazz in Dop D tuning.

Well, the 5 string is back online, and now when I play on it, when I hit that low note, my muscle memory is that it’s an open string and I miss fretting the third fret. So retraining from almost scratch. I know, first world problems lol.

4 Likes

I’m sure it will come back to you quickly. You haven’t lost the knowledge of the song so won’t take long. Still have like 10 days until the next song starts too. Plenty of time. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

THIS. IS. AWESOME.

This is what I love about this community, and Bassbuzz in general.
Everything and everyone here is so postive, vs. a lot of negativity that tends to plague forums like these.

I think Josh’s teaching style and approach sets a great tone, and is echoed here in the community through lots of positive vibes and support. I think the closed nature of the forum also helps keep folks focused on helping others and promoting general bass badassery.

I have never posted any audio or video of myself on any platform (bass or sax). I do it for my own enjoyment and have always been very hesitent to put my playing out there, however, last night I set up everything I needed to post here in the 50 Songs challange, and will be posting this weekend. This is really because of the supporive nature and great vibes of this forum.

Thanks to all the members, and especially all the frequent posters, and to JT for taking time to set things like this and the discord server, and always pushing forward the community.

And of course, THANK YOU JOSH, for creating such a great ‘place’.

18 Likes

We aim to please . . . :slight_smile:

6 Likes