6-string bass anyone?

Be sure to get one with 36 frets :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

I see a slide lap bass in my future.

3 Likes

Yeah, in a sensible world I would agree with you, but, hey, let’s go nuts sometimes and venture up onto that C string :crazy_face:

2 Likes

BEAD was definitely enough for me :slight_smile:

BEAD is actually too much for me, I don’t really have the use for such a low range. My favorite tuning is Drop-C# , or Drop-C if I really really need to go low.

1 Like

I found myself never really going lower than drop D anyway, yeah.

1 Like

My new toy. It’s a cheapy Douglas 6 string. I bought it through Guitar Center Charleston, SC.
The neck is like an aircraft carrier compared to the Ric next to it. But I wanted to give it a shot as soon as I heal up enough to go for it. :crazy_face:
I have it tuned BEADGC

3 Likes

That looks really nice @Phud. Keep us updated on what you think of it.

If do add another bass, it could very well be a 6 er.

3 Likes

Well it’s been about a year for this 6 string, and I Love it :heart_eyes:!!! I even bought another one.
I’ll even have more fun when I can plug it into a real amp. :boom:

1 Like

Well looks like I’m taking the plunge. Was going to put this off till next year, but not going to get a better deal. Ordered a B206SM

10 Likes

Nice!!!

1 Like

Thanks. I’m pretty happy. The body is ash and fretboard rosewood, if I don’t like the electronics or pickups this is a good platform to mod. A darkglass tone capsule and nordies would make for a nice bass.

If I can tame the six strings that is lol

2 Likes

Willing to bet the pickups and electronics will be just fine.

2 Likes

Looks gorgeous for sure!

Yeah, that is hard… I bought a relatively cheap (but OK) Harley Benton 6-string a while back, but I can’t claim that I am wearing that thing out in the shed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I wanted to get into chordal work on bass, but my fingers aren’t quite cooperating…

2 Likes

Yeah so am I. Just saying worst case. It’s not Squier after all

2 Likes

The top is spalted maple. And it’s not expensive so it makes me wonder what I’m paying for on some of the big guys basses. Must be that nameplate.

I have motivation though, one of the players I’m a fan over uses a 6 exckusively, and I can’t play any of his basslines on a 4.

And also I was writing a song and I was limited by the G string. And chords would have helped too. Like I said, motivation.

2 Likes

That is a great starting point, for sure!

But as the saying goes: it takes 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration :wink:

1 Like

Just curious, why not a 5 string? Or do you already own a 5 string…

2 Likes

My second ever bass that I bought was a Yamaha 5-string. I still have it, it’s an awesome bass, and for a long time, it was my main bass. I guess I got a bit cocky then and decided I would give a 6-string a try.

As the 6-string even more ruthlessly exposed some of my weaknesses (cough muting cough), I decided to mainly focus on 4-strings for the time being. That said, I often pick up the 5-string Yamaha and now also own a 5-string Ibanez fretless :smile:

2 Likes

Oh a 5 string fretless must be nice. I really start to like Ibanez more and more. Just asked Mac this question but how many basses you got now? Asking for a friend :laughing:

2 Likes