7 Basses You Should NEVER Buy

Especially if they are paying :face_in_clouds:

9 Likes

isnt Josh supposed to pay for group bass buy outing?

5 Likes

I have a longstanding promise to take Brian shopping in Tokyo :slight_smile:

Need to meet up with Larry and Jerry at some point too, our schedules just haven’t worked out.

5 Likes

You can invest in a cheap headphone amp like the NUX and bring it and headphones shopping. I did this for a while.

6 Likes

Yes, then one of each of those with the other type of strings on it so you have lots more options….then a hollow body, then a ….

4 Likes

I understand that feeling. I had that the first time I went to a store as an absolute beginner to try out some basses in order to select my first bass.
I did return to try out a fretless bass after about 7 weeks of B2B lessons and felt a little better about playing in the store. What really helped was reviewing the 3 Beginner Bass Riffs (You Can’t F*** Up) video. Here is a link to the thread:

This, along with some B2B lessons, helped me feel better trying out the bass at the store. (No, I didn’t buy that bass that day. However, I do have another different fretless bass on back order that should arrive right around the time I complete B2B for the first time and it will be a gift to myself as sort of a graduation present along with a reason to repeat the course on a new bass.)

4 Likes

Actually your $.04 is probably worth $100 and can save you thousands in the long run. :+1: :+1:

4 Likes

So true but this seems to elude a lot of beginners. :+1: :+1: :+1:

Not meaning to sidetrack this thread but this same statement can also be applied to some accessories. Pedals come to mind. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have always believed that anyone can learn to play the Bass if they really want to, but, they have to be willing to invest the time and effort required. It’s really that simple. IMHO

5 Likes

And me also but some just don’t get it.

I think that when it comes to shaping the sound, beginners should focus on what they can accomplish with just the settings on their Bass, Amp, and their playing technique before diving into things such as pedals, which is a huge GAS hole all in itself. YMMV

3 Likes

Zoom B1 Four is a multi effects pedal. Built in tuner, drum machine, lots of different amps sims and pedals for $99.

So you’re saying I shouldn’t have bought that? The in built drum machine made a HUGE difference to my playing/timing as a beginner. So apart from the Zoom what have Romans ever done for us?

4 Likes

Yep! Sounds and tones are very cheap to replicate. How the instruments look and feel separate the good ones from the great ones.

Let’s face it most basses nowadays are quite awesome at most of the pricepoint you can even build on yourself from the kit and make it sounds great for a few bucks more.

This is is how I see it, the sounds/tones are the recipe and the looks and feels are the ingredients. You can get great tasting dishes with the right recipe but not the right mouthfeel and texture.

Affordable basses from big brand offer all of the flavor of the dish like this ratatouille

But the premium not only delivers the flavor but looks and feels as well, generally better consumption experience of the same ratatouille

This one is technically a Confit Byaldi

3 Likes

Not at all. :slightly_smiling_face:
That was your choice and I agree it is a valuable tool for the reasons you mentioned but it is not necessary for a beginner.

I have and use a Zoom B1X4 effects pedal. I also use an inline tuner, and an RC30 looper pedal, which for some strange reason Boss decided to discontinue. These are also not necessary for a beginner. Actually, the in-line tuner was necessary, for me, because my headstock tuners just were not reliable on my Bass.

What was the reference to the Romans about?

2 Likes

Life of Brian :wink:

5 Likes

You’re right on about a Zoom, @Barney. :+1:

For example, the B1 Four is a true Swiss Army Knife pedal. And it’s so crazy-reasonably priced for all the value it delivers.

It’s the only pedal I own.

No GAS for others.

5 Likes

Gorgeous food, @Al1885.

You live too far away, dammit! :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

Love my Zoom B1 Four! I take it with me everywhere.

3 Likes

Yep, I really dig mine, too. It does have a learning curve required to get all its goodness, but once learned forever earned. Kinda like bass. :wink:

3 Likes

My wife started watching with me.
Now she knows my secret shame!

She expects me to follow your advice!

5 Likes

Ah, well. Sometimes shame is more fun when it’s shared. :sweat_smile:

Also, now you’ve learned to never watch Josh vids with your wife if it involves gear and the words “never buy.” :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m doomed!

2 Likes