7 Basses You Should NEVER Buy

Hey, now. “Completely caving into” is a way of dealing with GAS Guy’s pressure. :smiley:

Yeah, I’m not arguing with you or trying to devalue your input. I just know that for me, I was trying to fight off GAS Guy long before I’d figured out my actual bass preferences.

3 Likes

It’s all good, Tim. I just think it’s important to stress that if a player wants the instrument to feel like an extension of his/her body, i.e., something they can speak music through, it’s gotta feel right.

Screw all the BS about sparkles or candy colors or salami barf pickguard vs. classic black/white pickguards, blah, blah.

You feel like playing or you don’t. You strive to feel music.

Start with feeling the bass as part of you. With practice, the rest will spring from that.

Just my $0.04.

2 Likes

Too late, @JoshFossgreen , too late :joy:

Also, you just have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find that prince/princess/fluent-prince(ss)/… :wink:

11 Likes

This is a valid point. However as we transition inexorably away from mom and pop stores to online giants like Sweetwater, it’s hard for most of us to be able to walk into a store and try various options. Let alone know as a beginner what sort of neck we like. My nearest music store to me that has a good selection of Fender, Ibanez etc is about 8 hours drive.

I was very happy learning on my inexpensive Ibanez short scale (in my ‘post your cover’ videos I started out with that Bass and it didn’t hold me back) but now I’ve played a Fender “Modern C” I find the Ibanez neck a bit big. Not bad but not as comfortable.

I don’t see an easy solution to this unless you buy from an online retailer that has a solid return policy.

4 Likes

Or find a bass buddy and make a day of the

Bring snacks! :crazy_face:

7 Likes

I think that if people watch the first 21 seconds of this video they will learn the most important lesson of their lives.
“When you focus less on gear, you focus more on playing.”

Thank you Josh.
Thank you thank you thank you.

15 Likes

There are basses I regret buying, but I don’t think there’s one I regret selling.

5 Likes

Also top hidden gag :slight_smile: :ok_hand:

10 Likes

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!

4 Likes

Also big props for using Evanescence :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eGM0IJc70Y

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I’ve done with the majority of my basses. Sweetwater, Thomann, Sound Pure. Even my custom bass came from a small shop in the Netherlands that offered me a return option.

Only my Kiwi Cutlass has been used. But it and my custom are my forevers - so no harm, no foul.

Buying and trying from online stores is an option, but nothing quite beats the immediate gratification of walking into a store and grabbing a few off the wall for a spin. Oftentimes, the yay or nay pops right out.

3 Likes

@JoshFossgreen Thanks for the video. I totally agree with you on every point. I do get the highs from acquiring the problem is I get bigger highs on selling. I will definitely apply the tips and make time to finish the project to get the selling highs, lol.

Buying and selling allows me to acquire better basses and it just happens to be the cheapest hobby for me at the moment, much much cheaper than mountain bikes that’s for sure,lol.

4 Likes

I have to take a ferry to get to the store lol. It’s a long day when I do

5 Likes

Yeah, but as I said previously I’m not driving 16 hrs to try a bass. Even with amazing in vehicle snacks.

5 Likes

Sorry, I was referencing Josh’s recommendation in the video.

No, I get it. Going to brick-and-mortar stores is not always an option. I’ve enjoyed buying from reputable online stores a lot, and it’s paid off for me.

The beautiful Sandberg P I returned to Sound Pure was due to an ergos issue: the neck profile just didn’t work with my fretting hand. It was too bad, really. It was a gorgeous instrument and hard as hell to find in stock in America.

I gladly paid the return shipping in exchange for having the luxury of trying it out in the comfort of my practice room. Man, I gave it some quality time, but it just wasn’t meant to be. The upshot is I found a rare, mint Cutlass, so all ended great.

My real problem was that I read Geddy Lee’s book and saw his collection. I’m with @John_E though…I’m very much a techy and like gadgets, but none of the basses I own are more than $500 other than the Moolah Bass, which I built and paid for expensive parts ($275 for the MIM neck, $180 for the pickups, $200 for the other pieces). When I go to practice, I grab a different bass, so they all get played, but I do have the Swiss Army basses AND the weirdos like the Thunderbird and the Steinberger. Loved the video @JoshFossgreen but I swear GAS Guy reads our forums daily :smiley:

1 Like

Rewatching and looking at the title, I’m perfectly cool with NOT buying the 7 basses you shouldn’t buy…there’s plenty plenty plenty of other basses still to buy @JoshFossgreen
:upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Everyone needs a hobby and more importantly spending. If I don’t spend it on bass I most likely spend it on food, it ain’t cheap nowadays to eat out. Most definitely going out drinking, each occurrence can easily cost $200-250 do that(or stop doing that) once a week and that’s the payment for a Ken Smith, lol.

6 Likes

Probably one of my favourite videos so far @JoshFossgreen !
And certainly hit home a little too much :joy:

6 Likes

Truth brother!
We used to call this Trudy Logic as someone I went to college with was a master of this….
“You have to move your car from short term to overnight parking (at the dorms of RIT), so if you go down and move it and avoid the $25 ticket you can take me to Nick Tahou’s for a garbage plate ans still be ahead in money” - Trudy

6 Likes