7 Reasons Cliff Burton F***ing ROCKS (+Bass Lesson Tips)

And his dad was really cool, too. He passed in January of this year.

He was so supportive of Cliff and what he was doing.

He took the royalties and donated them for music scholarships for kids.

Cliff’s Dad

10 Likes

You arer KILLING ME @JoshFossgreen.
I have never wanted a P bass until today. I must have that. Orange with Black pick guard. Is that an off the shelf color?

Oh, and you killed another video, awesome work

Edit: Actually they call it RACE RED. it looks orange. Can you verify if it looks red or orange in person? If it looks orange like the video I still want it.
and a STEAL at $229

4 Likes

It’s red in person! It’s okay… I wouldn’t say I recommend it. There’s zero shielding in the body cavity, so the pickups are super noisy. One of the lowest quality Squier electronics setups I’ve encountered. I dunno if this is generally an issue with their Affinity models, or just this specific model.

Looks sexy though!

6 Likes

@JoshFossgreen I have the Affinity j bass and it has no shielding either the hum can be a bear to deal with at times.

4 Likes

Two more tips @JoshFossgreen: don’t forget to add the wispy 'stache and denim on denim look for maximum badassery! :love_you_gesture:

4 Likes

Hi Lester & Toby,
@LesterH , @T_dub
Jason Newstead was good with Metallica as well, I wouldn’t have minded the 1 million Mr Trujillo got for signing on :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Thank you for this amazing video @JoshFossgreen. It’s the pick up I needed after this week.

7 Likes

Yeah, I figured it might be, BUMMER, it looked sexier when I thought it was Orange. Orange with that big black pick guard would be great. That Racer Red also looks pretty cool with the black, but not the color for me.
And If I were to get a squire P or J, I think I would go up to the Vintage Modified series, I think you are right about the Afinity series.
Thanks for the info.
I was online looking for them as soon as I ended the video. I might have been hesitant to order even if it said Orange, due to being Affinity.
I am glad they were on back order, or I might be trying to cancel the order right now. :rofl:

4 Likes

I am actually NOT a Metallica fan, but if I were to listen to ANY Metallica, it would be the old albums that Cliff was on. Jason is not only good, he was great, and he came from that other band with Marty Feldman (or Freedman, I can’t remember OTTOMH) from Megadeath IIRC, Flotsam and Jetsam. But I have not really been into that style of Hair Metal music since back when I was playing guitar.
It is like Auto Racing, Indy Car and Nascar and anything else. i have absolutely ZERO interest in it at all. i would never spend ANY time watching any type of auto racing for pleasure, BUT, when I worked for a team back in 1998-2000, I would watch the races we were in and enjoy it.
So when I played guitar, the music I listened to and appreciated more at the time was heavy lead guitar bands like that.

And I do love Robert Trujillo, but I still don’t listen to Metallica, I listen to him in ST and Infectious Grooves more than anything.

4 Likes

Added to the BassBuzz YouTube Video Guide.

Hell Yeah, Cliff Burton!

6 Likes

My starter bass is an Affinity as well, cheapest version PJ, and it only has some shielding on the pickguard.

5 Likes

@JoshFossgreen You’re vids are simply the best! I won’t mention Scott Devine’s name here (sic), but you do more than post good bass players on your channel say, “Wow, that’s cool!” You do a detailed analysis as to why they are good…and you didn’t forget Steve Harris!

I really appreciate your talent to not only reach out to the beginner, but also to provide the material for the bad asses to digest as well. You’ve got something for everyone. I’m glad that when I made the choice, I chose your course. There’s lots of room for growth!

“Best Bass analysis online. Period.”

6 Likes

@Krescht You can go to Stewmac online and order rolls of shielding tape/material and install it very easily to completely shield your bass’ electronics. I have just ordered some but I will not set it up until I buy some new pick ups and change the strings again.

4 Likes

I got a roll of copper shielding from Amazon for $11. I don’t know if it’s as good as what Stewmac is selling, but the copper foil separated easily:

I cut it into strips and different shapes; used a drill bit (a tooth pick will work too) on the back side to lower the adhesive foil into the control and pickup cavities. Once down in the cavity, I used a finger on my other hand to press the foil into place while with drawing the bit:

I was surprised by how easy it was to do once I got the hang of it.

5 Likes

+1 on that :heavy_check_mark:

4 Likes

@kwt7667 Thanks for the link Stewmac is expensive. I will get some more of this stuff.

4 Likes

Hey Josh, I actually went and bought the Squier PJ starter pack after seeing you use this bass. I have had some higher end basses before, but sold off all my stuff when the start of Covid 19 in the world, caused me to re-evaluate my then excessive GAS! I am loving the bass and even the Rumble 15 amp. I did have the Rumble 40 & the same white jazz bass that you have reviewed, which were great. Sure this bass is not a high level instrument( mine doesnt seem to hum), but I am actually finding that liberating! I am more likely to pick it up and don’t feel so foolish for having what was described to me, in a nice way as “All the Gear & No Idea!”. This was true, I had 3 amps, effects pedals, ±10 basses at one point, but I realised that I was still basically a beginner that couldn’t actually play. Finally just getting stuck back into my B2B course and actually slowing down and really taking it all in this time, finding it so helpful and the amount of information and presentation is fantastic.
Love your 7 Reasons video’s, also glad that you are picking players that you actually dig & not just doing the usual suspects Jaco, Jamerson, etc.
Your BassBuzz YT video’s are just awesome! Thanks

5 Likes

That’s great you ditched some gear to focus on fundamentals Leonard! A good player can make one bass sound better than a not-so-good player with as many basses as their credit card will allow for. :slight_smile:

Can’t promise I won’t do Jaco or Jamerson someday, love those guys too!

7 Likes

You are spot on, as usual Josh! Look forward to some Jaco, Jamerson or Duck Dunn, so many greats to choose from!

5 Likes

This is probably as good a place as any to post this:

4 Likes