7 Reasons Steve Harris is a Metal. Bass. Legend. (+Lesson Tips)

What makes Steve Harris a metal bass legend? Here’s my take, plus tips to match his style and sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPz1MJJWcvo

If you’re doing the Beginner to Badass course, this lesson would be a solid stretch in terms of technique and speed - but have fun with it if you want to! :crazy_face:

The Harris Box

Steve Harris is by no means a one-trick pony, but of all the shapes he uses, this is the one that I hear the most often. Just four notes. Four beautiful, epic notes.

steve-harris-box-metal-bass

All you have to do to use it is find your root notes, and then slide it around, like in the GIF above.

Steve Harris Uses Fingernails - The Shocking Details Below

Yes, the tabloid headline is true. Despite some confusion among fans, you can see pretty clearly that his fingernails are long enough to grab the string when he plucks from these live photos:

Let me know how the play-alongs go! I know we’ve got most a beginner crew around here, so I expect Run To The Hills will send a few of you… running to the hills!

11 Likes

Thanks, @JoshFossgreen . . . :slight_smile: another one for the toolbox :wink:

Left you a thumbs up on the Tube as well

5 Likes

Love this video - have watched it multiple times… Very well done (and probably helped me decide to bite the bullet for B2BA)… Kudos!

4 Likes

Thanks @skydvr! This was a fun one, I learn so much more about these bassists I do features on.

4 Likes