A good headphone amp?

Yeah, I noticed that line from the manual too. I’m curious how the other guitar presets will sound with a bass too, as I’d like some more options than just a clean sound. I’m guessing many of the review videos are going to be from guitarists though so may just have to test it out and return it if it’s not doing the job. Would have been cool if they came out with a Rumble Micro too.

The NUX Mighty Plug was great overall when I tried it, lots of customisation with the app, and potentially more bass-focused options. The problem for me was their older bluetooth version meant noticeable latency trying to watch a video while streaming the audio, and it had no aux input as a backup. Fender are super vague about how their claimed a/v sync works, it may just be a bluetooth 5.0 thing, but I’m curious.

Those Vox headphones are tempting too though, partly because they’re entirely bass focused, but I haven’t found a manual for it yet so I have no idea what it can really do tone wise.

3 Likes

Man a Rumble Micro would be so awesome. Maybe one day.

Re: Vox tone, it’s pretty limited. You have 3 “gain settings” which work fine. There is also a tone knob but half the time mine produces noise/hiss so i just leave it at 0. No extra amp modeling or anything like that.

The built in drumbeats are pretty nice, and the AUX in is handy. Otherwise it’s a no-frills device that does the job acceptably.

EDIT: Just saw you were referring to the Vox headphones, not the Amplug, my bad. But same, curious for more details on those.

2 Likes

I dislike my Vox headphone amp, too much noise/hiss.
For now I use my focusrite for this stuff but can’t relocate so easy.

Nux looks cool but want to see what the Fender is all about first, so I guess I am waiting.
Fender is very bad at details on products. They seem to like a lot of white space on pages vs. just telling you everything.

2 Likes

Here’s a better video of the Fender one:

3 Likes

Seriously considering getting the Fender Mustang Micro now that they’re available and there’s more info out there about them. FWIW here’s a review from a bass player, sounds like the Studio Pre-amp setting is great for bass and all the guitar amps/fx are unsurprisingly meh for bass. So for bass-only, the NUX is probably the better buy. I would want to use it for guitar too so leaning towards the Fender.

2 Likes

Fender is very bad at products, period.

I mean outside of four or five classic lines of guitars and amps they have made for decades of course. They know what to do with those.

But when they try new stuff it feels like bolt-on afterthoughts that they don’t put much weight behind.

Like, they make a line of guitar pedals that are supposedly excellent but no one knows about, because you can barely even find them on the fender site without coming in from a google search.

They seem to promote things poorly in general.

They don’t have enough staff spare to promote things. They are too busy counting all the money they are making during the pandemic.

They do seem pretty bad at advertising accessories and things. I found their new power blocks on Andertons, but can’t even find a mention of them on the Fender website for example.

2 Likes

Yeah exactly, it’s like they have five things they know how to sell and the rest go to the marketing interns as starter projects.

2 Likes

I’m going to give the NUX a shot.
The Fender clearly is not designed for bass, at least the NUX has some functionality.
I will try Fender if they come out with a Rumble version…

4 Likes

There is one by NUX. Attaches to an app on your phone which allows you to pick whatever amp/cab/effects you want. Excellent practice tool!

1 Like

I have the NUX Mighty Plug for bass. I like it better than the VOX amplug. The Bluetooth gives you freedom from the source backing track if you’re using it for that.

2 Likes

I just saw one today for first time. That is cool extra feature too

1 Like

I was thinking the same. We need a Rumble version aimed at bass players. Lets hope they do this. Too often bass players are forgotten as the market opportunity is a quarter of the size of the guitar market.

2 Likes

It looks like the Mustang Micro got delayed over here in Europe now, but I think I’ll still try it out as I play guitar too, and as I’ve mentioned on an earlier post, the Nux - while great in many ways - had bad latency when trying to watch a video with streamed audio, which the Micro apparently handles.

For a pure bass solution, has anyone looked more into the new Vox VGH headphones? I have a feeling it might just be the same as the amPlug (along with its background hissing) stuffed into headphones, but maybe they’ve improved the sound quality too?

2 Likes

I think your analysis of the Vox headphones is probably correct. I dislike their amplugs so much I am totally resistant to buying anything else form them in a similar product range. I have just bought the NUX however and it is night and day different from the Vox

2 Likes

Clearly a power supply is an effect pedal :laughing:

I like the design of the website but they really need to have a good look at the navigation, shop and support. I couldn’t even click on the submenu because it was blocked by my adblocker. It’s not even much work to fix most issues…

3 Likes

I agree. I don’t use mine to play with videos, just to practice with audio tracks. Otherwise, it is a good headphone amp.

1 Like

So I did pick up the NUX and like it a LOT more than the VOX, for the elimination of the VOX hissing alone. I don’t really care about all the effects/etc, just want a clean tone from my basses. Very happy with it!

5 Likes

Yes @John_E it is superior to the Vox IMO… The app interface is a good way for newbs like me to play with effects. For your purposes I’d point out that within the configurations on the app you can access the pickup gain, which I use to balance the backing track/bass volumes. For practice at my home “desk” I frequently run a long TRS or TS cable from the plug to a powered speaker (instead of using headphones). That works well as long as you avoid going nuts on that poor speaker.

BTW I have found (and you’ll see online) that upgrading/flashing the firmware doesn’t work. Not worth the trouble, just click thru the nag screen.

3 Likes

hmm, i did the firmware flash first thing when i got it and it worked fine

2 Likes