A little music related fun

It sounded like they ran the signal through a duck’s butt

8 Likes

Sounded like a cat going to the bathroom through a sewn up bum.

Terry Pratchett

5 Likes

Listened through it again. Confirmed.

Loved the P and J
The Epiphone was surprisingly good.
The Ibby did not disappoint at all.

The Dingwall sounded reedy and thin.
The two Sires aounded surprisingly bad. Setup issue? They seemed thin and buzzy.

The biggest disappointment was the Warwick.

2 Likes

Overall, this was a really bad sound comparison.

Regarding the Sires in particular, there are other Andertons videos that demo them far better than this exhibition did. Same is likely true of the rest.

1 Like

I do wonder how “true” these kind of instrument videos are when it comes to sound. Afaik YT squashes the quality of sound. Or is that something from the past?

1 Like

in my opinion (written while I was listening to the basses) :

SR : sounds efficient but with no soul really
Epi : not for me but I found that tone quite interesting actually
Sire P : sounds almost like a JB here, not really how this pickup is intended to sound like in my opinion
Sire J : sounds like a J, yeah, but a bit “cheap” somewhat
Hofner : way too focused in the midrange, bad setting in my opinion
Fender P : yeah it’s a P
Dingwall : YES ! impressive balance between fatness and clarity
Fender J : sounds like a good J, much more rich than the Sire J
Gibson Tbird : too dull for me, but not that bad
Warwick : I don’t like this tone at all, way too much of a mid peak

Could be surprising but the ones I found interesting are the Epi, the Dingwall and the Fender J.

(the P is excluded because there’s no susprise :smiley: )

2 Likes

yes it’s all over the internet, but damn i sang this in my head for 4 straight days

1 Like

Very interesting. The ones that were my least faves were the Epiphone, Dingwall and Fender J. I do agree on the Warwick.

2 Likes

Most music from Pantera is in drop D. :relieved:

2 Likes

The problem with T-Birds is they get real muddy. They have this sweet spot which is awesome but they don’t move outside of it well. This is true of a lot of Gibson basses in my experience, I think it’s the neck pickups they use.

I really didn’t like it. The parts that didn’t sound weak simply sounded bad to me.

Agree! Probably the most impressive of the bunch.

I think what you were hearing were the really clear highs and the fact that the bass lets them through like no other. This is intentional for their tone. If it was just that then yes I would agree, but it’s also got the really rich deep lows underneath it. It’s also got a serious scoop. This is more or less exactly their jam and I like it a lot. It does what a J-bass should do but way better IMO.

Here’s one with both of the preamp options at various settings. Remember that these things have very high end preamps that are really responsive to settings; you can hear Erik make it do everything from thin and clanky to deep and rich. Just crazy versatile basses.

The Darkglass preamp just sounds amazing in that thing. it starts at about 6:18.

2 Likes

Yep sounds amazing. I really love Erik’s Yamaha bass too

2 Likes

Both of them! His Attitude is awesome and he has a stock BB734A that he uses too. Erik is one of my favorite bass youtubers, really nice and responsive in comments too.

@MC-Canadastan - this is actually a pretty good video describing the things, with excellent examples of their signature metal tone and also them doing a lot more. Just super versatile.

2 Likes

I think what you were hearing were the really clear highs and the fact that the bass lets them through like no other
[/quote]

Are you gaslighting @MC-Canadastan there @howard :wink:

1 Like

Well yes clearly I am but in this case I am sincere :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah I was referring to his Attitude! He has a nice collection of basses

1 Like

He does this really cool comparison of his 734A (in BEAD) with his Attitude (dropped an octave via pitch shift):

1 Like

Oh, no worries then!

1 Like

:rofl:

The pickup sounds good, not much low end presence but good mid and high range tone. Bass sounds a bit bright out of the box, but you know, Marcus Miller. A bridge with brass saddles helps a lot.

2 Likes

Another reason to $hit on Lobster for taking out the guts and making it more like a regular J.

I really liked the Dingwall when I tried it but wasn’t what I was looking for in a 5er, which is good cause the Lakland is way cheaper. Lol.

1 Like