A string way louder? (brand new to this so be kind)

Another good answer! You, sir are on a roll! Believe me, for the minimal layout of funds it’s totally worth it to get a setup. I think you’ll find it was the right choice.

1 Like

Fantastic decision! I hope you can get the chance to watch and ask questions.

1 Like

Fantastic. You’re gonna love it.

Try not to overthink things and above all have Fun :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Another great choice.
Just make sure the luthier knows what you expect of the setup.

There are a lot of threads in this forum re doing your own setup.
I suggest you take a look at them when you are ready.
Just a thought.

You are already on your way to success in playing the Bass, just watch out for the rabbit holes that can distract you from practicing because practicing is the main key to learning to play the Bass. All you need is the Bass, Amp of some description, and lots of time. There is time enough for lots of the side adventures once you are finished the course. All the fundamentals you need are included in the B2B course. IMHO

Oh, and a word of advice on the course, when you get to the lesson on Billie Jean just go through it and if you can’t do even the slow workout, guess what, we’ve all been there. She is a bitch. Just move on, but keep coming back and trying it every now and again. You’ll get it in the end. :slightly_smiling_face:

Let us know how you make out with your setup and Good Luck. :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

I would like to second this. There’s lots of rabbit holes in this hobby, I’m as guilty as the next guy in chasing down them, but you have a bass, and an amp. Your sound will benefit more from practice than any piece of gear. Don’t chase the tone rabbit until you’re ready. Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

These guys are on point. They give good advice. Fundamentals. All of the building blocks to being a well versed player are here.

And they didn’t cost a ton.

There is a chance that you are the next les claypool, or Victor wooten ( add incredible bass players ad infinitum here) but the basic principles taught here are where that starts…

Good luck on your journey. And Billie Jean isn’t just a meanie, she’ll also learn you something

1 Like

Going to a professional for your first setup is not a bad idea. If you go that route I’d echo the advice above to go to a real professional (a luthier) and not some randos at Guitar Center.

But really, settting up your bass is not only very easy, but is what I would consider to be a mandatory skill. You should learn how to do it as soon as possible. A setup is not a one-and-done event; you will want/need to adjust the setup occasionally over the life of the instrument. I end up making small tweaks to mine monthly or more often.

I think there is a lot of fear and trepidation around doing your own first setup, and it’s really unfortunate. It’s very easy, you don’t need any tools beyond a screwdriver and the allen wrenches that came with the bass, and it takes about 15 minutes tops.

2 Likes

All very good and encouraging advice I appreciate it. I’m starting this adventure rather early in life😂 i’m 65. The excitement I have about getting good enough to play with someone else is driving me hard to practice hard. It not like I have a decade to learn.

4 Likes

It’s only too late if you never start. You got this.:+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

I started Bass last year at 71 but do have a musical background which made it quite a bit easier for me.

I always thought that the ukulele was the easiest stringed instrument to learn to play but I found the Bass was even easier.

You’ll hear it said over and over again - If you want to learn Bass all it takes, besides the Bass and amp, is the B2B course, time and practice, practice, practice, and remember to have fun on this lifelong musical journey,. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Ok so I took it to the music store thinking I was going to get a professional setup but that was not how it worked out. The lady working there told me my pick ups where hot, and that the top pick up was too close to the A string. She showed me how to adjust the height and said it was a matter of playing with it until I got all the same level of volume from all the strings. I think I’m pretty close, is this what you would have been expecting or is there more to it?

1 Like

It’s certainly the easiest and cheapest place to start, and it’s in the right direction either way. Judging by that picture, the inner part of the pickup was super high and closer to the A string.

1 Like

I think this is what we expected, @mschubert2 . . . :slight_smile:

Glad you got it sorted!

Cheers
Joe

pickup height is the last step of a setup, and the easiest one to adjust (because it does not directly effect another setting (truss/height/intonation all effect one another as they are on the same ‘system’) Pickups are independent.

The hard part for me was knowing where ‘good’ was.
What was too hot, what is too not, etc.
I saw a good video that said, if you can, passive mode, tone up all the way…or active only leave flat - then play the riff from Pink Floyd Money as it goes across all the strings and listen to what string might be louder or softer. Seems to work for me.

Thanks

Yep. There is one weird thing though - it is easier to intonate after adjusting pickup height if the pickups were too high, because your tuner will be less chaotic.

Signed, Mr. bought four basses with pickups adjusted to nearly max height on arrival :rofl: