A Week Away :(

@BillJr Definitely!

Hey I can completely understand your frustration but stay positive & play when you can. I’m new to bass this year & have been making good progress but have my shoulder surgery today which means no practice for up to 3 months minimum. Depressing.

2 Likes

Sorry buddy, stay strong!

1 Like

I took a break (higher power wanted it that way) for several months form the course and I managed to smooth back in quite well :slight_smile: I feel once you learn something you dont lose it as easily anymore.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear of your pain.

Not to minimize or compare…just sharing here.
Years of martial arts competition, racing cars across North America on rough road courses with 1000hp cars with no suspension, and i blink…and turned 50 in June. Ive had L3-L5 mechanical issues…basically my L4 is twisted and protrudes upper and lower discs…but the worst part is my SI joint left side. Been told i should be bed ridden most days…self employment doesnt condone that…nor do i. Surgery is enevitable with fusions and alignments and theyre working on a ‘spacer system’ for the SI areas. Fun times.
AND i busted my damn hand again a couple months ago ahhahaa…one hand typer now.
I prematurely took my cast off to play…not sure that was the smartest idea ive had…so ive slowly started dabbling with hand angles and minimizing stress on the hand/wrist.
As for the back pains…what the others have said sounds like a forward thinking plan…i use an inversion table daily and it works amazingly well for me…most days. Theyre cheap and most places allow you to try before you buy…bonus.
All the best to you… This is a great bunch of people on this forum always willing to help and non judgemental.

Cheers from Toronto

2 Likes

“Funny” how that seems to pop up again and again… martial arts are fun, but rough on your body in the long run… I had been doing TKD for about ten years, but don’t think I would have been able to keep going.

Anyway, I guess it shows that many of us are facing similar issues… not much of a consolation, I know, but at least you’re not alone in this!

2 Likes

Yep. Agreed. Busted feet…hands…ligament and muscle damages etc. Lol. Not sure i wouldnt do it all over again though. Hahaha maybe a BIT more cautious and do more stretching and take supplements.
Meh…too little too late :slight_smile:
Thanks for the reply pal

2 Likes

Hi archi, try this, the magic of oxygen !

Breathing wise Wim Hof is just about as powerful as Josh on bass :crazy_face: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Mind you ! at the age of 60 he climbed the Everest in shorts and in one day, probably at minus 10°C! Start with the beginner (link refers) and in like two weeks or less (you seem young), carry on with advanced lessons. Amazing results garanteed ! Like at the age of 76, I cut down smoking rolled cigarettes (meaning tobacco, 30 grams every 4/5 days) to 2 cigarettes a day! You’ll be surprised by the feeling when your own brain asks you “hey Archi! what are you doing to me ? When do we breathe again” ? I don’t know if this can heal your back and I hope it can. If not or if partly, come back to me, I’ve got a few more tricks :slight_smile: But this one by Wif Hof is just awesome. Take care. Christian

1 Like

There is a danger that this stuff gets quickly labelled as “new age”, “quacks”, “hippie nonsense” and so on… and it is very easy to fall into that rut.

However, 70s hypnotic graphics and funny rasta accent aside, I think that controlled and conscious breathing is a very much underestimated and under-utilized tools. For most of our waking hours, probably 99.9% percent of the time, we breathe way too shallowly, and we’d benefit from such breathing exercises. I mean, Navy seals have “box breathing” to control stress, for example - I guess they wouldn’t use it or teach it if it weren’t beneficial.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

+1 to this. If you are reading low on an oxygen meter, you can take deep breaths and peg the number to max. Breathing techniques are medically researched and actively taught for stress relief and pain management. Hyper oxygenation increases sensory perception and makes food taste better, colors more vivid and on and on. Lamaze for childbirth. Tantra. Pranayama for Yoga (a subset of Tantra). Holotropic Breathwork by Stanislav Graf. The Osher Center in San Francisco teaches mindfulness and breathwork for pain management with cancer patients. They did the research necessary to prove efficacy so insurance could cover it. It’s a fun topic if interested.

1 Like