Acoustic Bass?

i would add that if you really want an upright bass sound they will give you a reminiscent sound but ONLY if you leave them stringed with the weird rubber strings. when i changed to roundwounds on my ubass, that sound went away. which i was perfectly fine with, as i cannot stand those rubber things.

bb

4 Likes

@Jamietashi I’ve definitely thought about it but experimentation costs money.
My current plan looks like this…

Get an American Fender Jazz Bass I’ve been wanting
Restring my MiM Jazz Bass as BEAD

Get a nicer acoustic bass

Experiment with finding the sound in my head

In the mean time I have plenty of work to do on my fundamentals and maybe getting my hands on some pedals.

4 Likes

Everything costs, true. But don’t forget that resale is decent and you really won’t lose all that much if it turns out you are renting instead of buying. ESPECIALLY if you buy used to start with.

3 Likes

^^

Always buy used if you can. Let someone else’s broken dreams pay for that depreciation hit :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi all,

I picked up a 2nd hand Crafter acoustic bass late last year for 50£, a steal - yes, but the preamp is not working properly. I’ve taken out the bridge, cleaned the pick-up, checked the wires and reassembled but the D string is still much quieter than the other 3 (and replaced the battery before anyone asks :laughing:) .
Any ideas?

3 Likes

How sensitive is the EQ? Right now in that pic bass is cranked while mid and treble are relatively neutral, and Presence (which will accentuate the highs somewhat) is also cranked.

How does the D string sound when making bass neutral, pushing mids higher, and backing off the Presence a bit?

3 Likes

Thanks Howard,

I’d tried adjusting all EQ levels but still no change. However I set the levels, the D string is significantly quieter than the others

3 Likes

Wow, no idea then. I assume it is not quieter acoustically, just through the electronics?

3 Likes

yep. I picked it up to be able to play during work lunch breaks so it does the job. Just be nice to hear it plugged in.

As a general point for anyone thinking of getting one, it’s a different beast (as they say) to play and takes a bit of getting used to, especially the shape and what to do with the thumb when playing the E! But useful to have one for picking up quickly if you have an idea as @eric.kiser said. I like the sound but probably wouldn’t spend out on a ‘better’ one, Then again… #GAS

3 Likes

@MikeyD the peizo under the saddle can become brittle, easiest it to put in a new peizo strip. they are normally a simple plug in.
Jamie

1 Like

Many thanks @Jamietashi, I’ll check that out

2 Likes

Well how about that, an old repair job hah! Definitely need a new piezo strip :laughing:

4 Likes

Mystery solved :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yup, that would cause it. Does it plug into the preamp/EQ? or is it soldered in?
Jamie

1 Like

it plugs in so easy to replace - although not having much luck finding a supplier

3 Likes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soft-Bendable-Piezo-Under-Saddle-Pickup-for-EQ-Equalizer-With-mini-Jack/353128078238?hash=item523812db9e:g:jx8AAOSwR~Fe15i8
@MikeyD

1 Like

thanks, but it looks like this

3 Likes

Flexible is better than a rigid @MikeyD only one thing you will need a packer strip or a new taller saddle. Easier just stripping the old one and placing the new flexible one on top. No Glue
Jamie

2 Likes

Nice one Jamie thanks for your input on this :blush:

3 Likes

If you were next door, I buy six at a time we could have done it already, unless we got jaming :rofl:
Jamie

4 Likes