Advice for an acoustic bass please

Little update: I fiddled around with an acoustic bass (no amplification) today and was pretty taken aback at just how hard it was to hear. No way I’d get one if I was part of a guitar group as I would have trouble hearing myself. Thanks again for all your replies!

2 Likes

So glad you had the chance to try it.
I always have that exact same experience!!

Those darn acoustic basses. If you want it to be loud enough to be heard and felt with other instruments it has to be as big as an upright bass. That’s why they’re so damn big.
A little acoustic bass with an amp, or a giant upright, no amp.

2 Likes

For a don’t buy this option, don’t buy the Taylor GS mini bass. Now, I love it for sitting around practicing, but it is not a loud acoustic bass by itself.

Do you have a local store with some different options to try out? As was said above, some of the ones with a big sound also have huge bodies.

For the record, I love the sound of acoustic bass. It’s one thing that really shines on the Alice In Chains unplugged performance.

2 Likes

They are generally all awesome…plugged in.

My first ‘shock’ was how huge it was to get my arm over it. Second shock was no pickup to rest my thumb on!

I was a bit hesitant to pluck really loud as I didn’t want anyone to hear me, but I could just tell that plucking loud wouldn’t make much difference.

@TroyMcClure I could travel around to some stores to try more options. I’m really curious now to find something where the sound blows me away.

2 Likes