Advice: MIJ PJ config Aerodyne / Sire P7 / Sire P10

Thanks - hadn’t really been considering that yet. And thanks to everyone else for their opinion so far. Hadn’t expected it to be quite so one-sided a vote.

3 Likes

Bad MikeC

I’ve thought about adding a Tele guitar to encourage my rhythm playing, many of my guitar idols (Petty, Chrissie Hynde etc) played one.

No feeding the gas

2 Likes

In general I think the black on black on black is a bit Vader-esque for me. But it hasn’t escaped my notice that a really good deal on a used black Aerodyne is actually less expensive than a P7 and would let me upgrade the pickups and stay in budget.

2 Likes

:grin:

2 Likes

You’re always gonna run into a ton of Fender fans. But there are lots and lots of other, really exceptional brands and models out there.

I’ve never cared about resale. If I sell an instrument for less than I paid, I consider the difference as rent for the experience of playing it. But it’s a personal decision.

4 Likes

I voted for the P10 just from the specs. Roasted maple is an upgrade to me (controversial) and the flame maple is an esthetic upgrade to me. And I have two Fenders. Regardless of what anybody says, you pay a little more for the Fender name.

2 Likes

If you look at specs, you pay a significant premium for that name on the headstock. Not just vs Sire, but Ibanez, Yamaha, G&L, etc. It’s not so noticeable under about 600, but the closer your budget gets to 1k, the more obvious the difference. Interestingly, I think things even out again over about 1500-2000 where higher end names like Lakland can compete.

3 Likes

Frankly - none of those prices seem good to me.

2 Likes

That’s cause your export Aerodynes are a lot cheaper for you, lol.

That and @KenKnight is quoting new, which, as another tip, I would not buy any of these basses new.
Too many good one used with pre-paid depreciation.
It is a better market right now to buy used for sure.

I know a lot of folks don’t care about resale value, but…
If you are buying one of these with little info going in, then resale is important, in case you don’t like it.
The Aerodyne is a clear + here.

2 Likes

You can get a Charvelle, which is by Fender, has a Fender headstock, roasted maple neck, DiMarzio pickups, rolled frets, compound neck, for the price of a Fender Player. Made in the same factory too. It just doesn’t say Fender on the headstock

2 Likes

It’s hard to even find a Sire used so most of them are holding their value pretty well and most of the models have gone up in price over the past 2 years too. I bought my Sire M7 5st ash from Cosmo Music in March of last year and they want $340 dollars more for one right now.

2 Likes

This is exactly right. Sire can’t make their basses fast enough to meet demand. I bought my M5 from Thomann for a good price. They’re now selling for over $300 more than I paid.

3 Likes

I’m very glad I bought mine when I did, I wish I’d bought a 6 string too :smiley:

A player pbass is almost $400 more now than what I paid on amazon warehouse deals a year ago… though I still see some good deals periodically. 2 or 3 years ago you could pick up a nice used MIM bass for the current price of a Squier VM. I think it was late 2019 my buddy bought a used MIM 5st jazz bass in a hard case for about $350 USD.

2 Likes

I’m glad I bought my second D5. They are sold out

3 Likes

Yep. It happens every time Sire releases their latest production run.

1 Like

Greedy :joy:

I’d love one of those, I’ve had my eye one for a while but I have enough. basses so I’m shopping for a cello now :laughing:

2 Likes

Pro tip: try before you buy.

Sire and Fender are different when it comes to the edge of the neck and frets. I would base my decision on that.

3 Likes

I’d play them or at least make sure to listen to some good demos on YT.

I’m not a big PJ fan and I don’t like Aerodyne basses much but my choice from those would probably be the P7. Other than the maple/veneer top and roasted flame maple neck, the the P7 and P10 are very similar… I don’t think there’s a significant difference in the electronics. It really depends on what sort of tone you want and how important looks or a roasted neck are to you.

2 Likes

Yeah I was thinking the same. Especially the P7 seems to be much higher price than what it could be? At least here in Europe they go for 550-600€ on Thomann, depending on finish. Swamp ash body P7 is more expensive. (700€).
I also just realized that the new P8 all have swamp ash bodies in addition to the roasted necks (900€). P7 swamp ash body is discontinued.

2 Likes

You guys were supposed to make this easier! It looks like the Pro-Mod San Dimas PJ IV is a serious contender too.

2 Likes