Alnico and ceramic pickups

It seems like if it were all about the EQ you could fix it by setting the onboard EQ switch to flat and then tweaking mids somewhere else in the signal chain. That does get some new possibilities but doesn’t make it sound like a stingray or jazz bass :smile:
still I do like a lot of the tones it can get

1 Like

You absolutely can boost the mids elsewhere.

Nothing will ever make it sound like a J-bass. It’s a double humbucker.

You can probably make it sound more similar to a stingray but that single MM pickup placement is hard to replicate.

1 Like

Maybe we can get these guys to make a similar pedal for bass.

1 Like

I am curious about how well that works. EQ can of course mimic things like the J scoop, but single coil pickups simply have a different timbre than either split or dual coil. Much harder to mimic timbre.

2 Likes

This in particular has me curious what they are doing beyond EQ:

ETA: This is a review of the previous version and I think it sounds pretty darn good.

1 Like

I have been a bit interested in this subject recently.
I am trying to get different sounds out of my Bass VI which has Alnico V Strat pickups (labelled as Vintage).
One problem is that I can’t raise them as much as I like.
I am experimenting with lipstick pickups- waiting for them to arrive.
I am putting an Alnico V lipstick at the bridge as an experiment, I may try a complete set if there is a favourable difference

1 Like

It’s gotta be messing with the impedance, that’s the reason you’d want to be wired directly to passive pickups.

2 Likes