Alternate tuning

One of my absolute favourite performers, Devin Townsend, routinely plays in Open C - CGCGCE, so the bass is tuned CGCG. Bit of a custom string setup required for that one…

Not quite as insane as @terb and his BEAD. Only having the one bass, it’s entirely too much effort to mess with. My goal is to be able to switch between standard and drop D on the fly by ear. Neat party trick.
4 Likes

:+1:

it’s really easy with some habbit !

2 Likes

I am so tempted by BEAD but I can’t do it on my main bass or I won’t be able to play any Peter Hook basslines.

3 Likes

@Gio, you’ve once again answered a question I wanted to ask. :slightly_smiling_face: When thinking about alt tuning,
I wasn’t sure if tuning down would apply only to the low E string or if all 4 strings can be tuned down a step (or up a step for that matter). I’m not quite far enough along in playing and knowledge to start trying alternate tuning, but thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

It’s addictive. My bass spends at least half its time in Drop D.

3 Likes

I find myself increasingly wishing my 5 string were a 4 string in BEAD.

2 Likes

I just saw in my crystal ball someone selling a 5 string Rockbass to buy a 4 string MIG Warwick.

2 Likes

I am seriously considering it :slight_smile:

Or (see the other thread) maybe a BB.

MIG Streamer 4-string was indeed my first choice (and still is, but that BB seems pretty damn good too.)

We’ll see.

1 Like

I’m considering modifying my TRBX174EW to BEAD… I haven’t played around with that tuning much given the songs that I enjoy playing, but since that bass doesn’t get much play time anyway, figure it to be a great candidate for BEAD.

5 Likes

sounds like a pretty good idea @Lanny

3 Likes

Gonna do it! Hell, I’ve already got a new 130 B string in my box of spare bass parts anyway…

3 Likes

Nice! :+1:

2 Likes

Having modified my TRBX174EW to “BEAD” tuning and using that tuning in a Classic Rock cover, the question to myself was… “Why in the hell hadn’t done this earlier!”…

I’m finding myself playing my old 174 more than my other two bass’s now that I’ve just started playing above the 5th fret in EADG territory. The extra thickness of those strings makes up for the loss in frets as far as tone, and it’s faster and easier to play in the EADG area.

I haven’t tried playing the other style music that I enjoy - MOTOWN… I still use one of my other EADG bass’s for that, but those songs aren’t as multiple note with fast finger fretting focused as most of my old Classic Rock songs are…

I’m really enjoying this tuning! Might need to make a couple dedicated few bar samples playing both an EADG tuned bass and my BEAD tuned bass that might show a little more in tone differences between the two.

4 Likes

My strings should get here tomorrow. Which is good because I am missing having a B string.

3 Likes

Looking forward to finding out how your mod goes and what you think of the tuning on a 4 string.

2 Likes

Got myself a nice set of medium bottoms (yes I have been waiting to say that)

SOON.

This is the Warwick Just-a-Nut:

Much like their cool two-piece bridge idea, they have a two-piece adjustable nut. You can adjust it up or down for action by turning the allen bolts in those holes. Also, once the strings are off, the top part just slides off and you can swap it out for a different one. So, after I pull the strings off, I’ll take it off and drill/file it out.

I am actually considering ordering a second nut top now and doing the filing on it, and keep the original as EADG. Plus, you know, in case I f*ck up.

4 Likes

Good luck @howard!! Looks like you’ve got everything covered. Can’t wait to hear your synopsis on the modification. I’ll never take the 174 back to standard EADG tuning. I’m finding myself playing it more now than my other bass’s, but that could be because it’s still somewhat of a novelty - time will tell.

4 Likes

Wow, that really IS a great idea, @howard . . . :slight_smile:

Good luck with it!

3 Likes

Thanks!

So I said “eh, screw caution” and just did it. Thar she be:

First thing I did was lay out the tools. I ended up not using the modeling drill and just filed it with a round diamond file. Also, nitrile gloves. These nuts are plastic resin and fiberglass, which makes dust that is toxic AF. I wish I had a mask too but the entire country is sold out for obvious reasons.

There’s the nut after filing. Not bad!

The only problem is the action is really super ridiculously high now, partially because the B string is not sitting in the saddle well (I may need to file the saddle), but it was super high before I started this.

I think I can lower the entire bridge, it has adjustment screws to move the whole thing up and down. I love Warwicks.

Anyway, it sounds awesome. Not really playable until I fix the action height though.

4 Likes

Action does look a bit high @howard… lLove the looks of those strings on that bass though! Can’t wait to hear it!!

3 Likes