Am I misunderstanding how my compressor is supposed to work?

That too is on my wish list. Have you tried using it as a DAI? Can it do zero latency input monitoring while receiving audio from the computer through USB? (Use case: Element connected to MacBook with USB, GarageBand running on MacBook playing the backing tracks and recording my bass, me listening to the backing tracks and my bass (with zero latency) with headphones plugged into the Element.)

1 Like

I have the Hyperluminal and I can tell you its confusing as well.
I have not yet sorted out the world of compressors to the point where I can discern what is going on and why (another day of focused learning needed).
I do like the three in one compressors built in and do hear differences, but no idea what each is doing differently.
I really wish someone put together a decent class on compressors using a DAW to show resultant waveforms etc and explain why etc. I know Spectre Studios did a great basic one, but I’d like one that is pedal based and more for ‘dummies’.

2 Likes

See if this video helps, featuring everyone’s favourite compressor:

@wellbi also linked another good video above

3 Likes

+1 on that. I tried the Hyperlum too and found it very difficult to dial in. Didn’t gave me the sound I like, but that’s just a personal thing. Returned it…

If you look for a straight forward comp which is easy to adjust and provides a nice sound, you might give the Keeley Bassist a try. It’s pricey, but I’m happy with it.

1 Like

Measured with the strings depressed at the last fret? Even then it seems pretty high to me… Mine are typically set between 2.8 mm (bass side) and 2.0 mm (treble side), which AFAIK are the recommended values for Fender-style P and J basses.

Either way, it looks like this MXR compressor isn’t the one for you.

2 Likes

Funny that you ask this since I actually tested this for Eric. See the link below. Also there is no such thing as zero latency with any DAI as far as I know. The latency depends on the sample rate and buffer size but usually it’s like around 1 ms which feels like 0 latency. So the latency is fine on the Element and yes you can also receive audio from it as well via the headphone output. It just works like a DAI.

3 Likes

Zero-Latency Monitoring is the ability to play the sound being input directly out of the monitor outs on the audio interface, blended with the sound output from the DAW. To use it you mute the track monitoring in the DAW and just listen straight off the DAI for the instrument you are recording.

Ideally the interface will have a blend control like this:

2 Likes

It does have a blend, but I was unsure how it handles USB audio, because the manual only mentions aux and bluetooth in. But based on everyone’s comments I assume it handles the USB audio the same as it does aux/bluetooth.

Blend: A touch sensitive slider to set the blend between the main input (Intrument/Amp in) and the backing track (Bluetooth/Aux in) for the headphone out mix.

On the Scarlett I just press the “Direct Monitor” button and that’s it. (Always on for me.)

1 Like

Yeah some audio interfaces just have a button with a fixed blend level. A blend pot is better but a button will do the trick too.

1 Like

I assume you are referring to the more expensive of the below two, correct?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KBass--keeley-bassist-limiting-amplifier-bass-compressor-pedal
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KCompPlus--keeley-compressor-plus-4-knob-compressor-pedal

3 Likes

Unfortunately: YES :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Easy to find well working comp settings, this is a ‘bread&butter’ always-on setup. (the Tech21 is in AC/DC mode :wink: )

4 Likes

Josh also has the 3 knob version My First Pedalboard!. If you are struggling with the functionality of the Hyperluminal I would go for something easy. Having more knobs doesn’t always mean you get something better…

3 Likes

Not sure if the blend on the Elements works like a Direct Monitor blend. The Scarlett is a much better DAI so why would you use the Element over the Scarlett anyway? The main feature of the Element is a headphone amp and cabsim.

3 Likes

Because acting as a DAI is advertised as one of its features, and it would simplify my setup. I primarily want it for the cab sim, but if it can replace the Scarlett then all the better.

3 Likes

Sorry, didn’t see this thread. The mxr didn’t work for me, but I really like the darkglass.

3 Likes

BTW although expensive, the keeley is the biggest selling pedal on reverb. So everyone can’t be wrong, right?

*Edit hmm they also aren’t nearly as expensive as they used to be?

2 Likes

The DG Element is an amazing piece of gear imo, you won’t regret it.

2 Likes

I am going to give it a shot.
Maybe it even helps me understand the HyperLuminal more, can always sell one or the other.

Thanks @thomas !

3 Likes

Received a response from MXR:

It looks like the pedal is working normally. When you change the RATIO setting you’ll need to adjust the INPUT and output settings as well. Try turning the INPUT up when you switch to 20/1 and you should hear/see the compression difference.

So to answer my original question, looks like I indeed do not understand this pedal.

Anyways, I can’t even set the input level high enough to have any meaningful compression at 20:1 with plucking. I have to pluck abnormally hard for anything to happen.

I’m going to exchange it for something else, likely a Hyper Luminal, and hope for the best.

5 Likes