Amp that can compete with a very LOUD drummer

Get yourself a live gig to be able to justify it.

3 Likes

That’s why it’s on my wish list and not in my house

4 Likes

i think the zoom amp sims are surprisingly good.

5 Likes

Me too!

3 Likes

The Rumble 500 is a versatile amp.
Before it’s time to book gigs, you might consider picking up a good active Di Box to place between your bass and your Rumble if you haven’t already.
The Rumble 200/500 Di is “post Everything”. Every adjustment that you make to your amp, tone and volume wise including the Master volume will change the signal going out of the Di.
I use a Hartke VXL Bass Attack for my Di. It is last in the chain on my pedal board. That way my amp is strictly a stage monitor for my bass. I can twist knobs and press buttons on it to my heart’s delight without angering the sound technician.
You’re going to love that little amp. Rumble on!

5 Likes

Thanks, @Artman!

I’ve been eyeing the Aguilar Tone Hammer for quite awhile. Both for the tone and having that pre amp DI.

4 Likes

@Artman Welcome to the BassBuzz forum!

When you have time, join us on the Introduce Yourself thread.

2 Likes

I’ve been jonesing for awhile to upgrade my Rumble 100 to a Rumble 500. I’m basically just waiting for the neighbor on one side of me to get another loud barking dog, and the teenagers on the other side of me to have a few more raucous parties that keep me awake all night. Then it will be time for the Rumble 500.

7 Likes

That thing sounds friggin’ HUGE in the low end! If you want a bass to live up to it’s name I can’t imagine a better way to go. I’m away from home for a week on a dessert island and the only piece of electronics I packed was my Tone Hammer. I left the Darkglass behind to tend to the flower garden.

4 Likes

No matter who complains you can blame it on the other neighbor! I know, it’s the most musical dog I’ve ever heard.

4 Likes

Never thought I’d say it, but, may the neighbors get a loud barking dog, and continue to throw wild parties! If that’s what it takes to make the jump to the 500, it will all be worth it :wink: The Rumble 500 is a bass-pumping machine, I love mine, zero regrets.

3 Likes

@Vik good to hear from you again…

Did you have a Rumble 100 prior to the 500? Just wondering your thoughts on the comparison.

3 Likes

No, admittedly I didn’t - I made the leap from a Peavey combo amp, all the way to the Rumble 500. I would go into Guitar Center, and, at first, the 100 was going to be the one (it really is likely, just fine, I liked it a lot). Then I started looking at the 200, then, hey for $100 bucks beyond the 200, why not get the 500? That was my justification, at least, along with the guy at GC saying something like “you never know when you’ll need more power.” I was convinced. Another justification was, at the time, I was playing a lot (last winter), and had experimented with playing with others, and just wanted to be “ready for anything.” Haha!

But, @PamPurrs - as dedicated as you are, and continue to be, shoot, maybe you don’t need another reason, if it’s calling to you! Realistically though, it is pretty loud, I’ve only turned the master volume up to about 2 o’clock one time, and that was playing on my front porch, and living in the middle of nowhere. Indoors, by yourself, it’s overkill. Even at most venues, it more than does the job, at lower settings. But it does just feel good to have that power too, and feeling the sound coming out of it !

4 Likes

Hey @Vik! It’s nice to hear from you!

@PamPurrs The thing I like about the 500 versus the 100 is that the whole sound is fuller. I attribute it to the 2 10" speakers versus the 1 12" speaker. Also, just because it can get a lot louder, you can still use it at low volume and get that fuller sound.

As much as it bugs you to go there, it’s worth a trip to Guitar Center to be able to compare the different amps and see if you hear a worthwhile difference. More than once I’ve gotten a bass and cable and gone around the amp stack trying out everything they had to see what I liked. It’s an eye opening experience if you haven’t done it.

3 Likes

Not sure at all any longer whether we hadn’t already shared this video before, but there is the Rumble 500 in there (from around 2:50), @PamPurrs, and while I am kinda partial to the Eich, I have to admit the Fender sounds gorgeous in this sound test:

If you think (like me) that the models they chose to compare is a bit “random”, there is much more information to be get via the links on the YouTube page, alas those articles are all in German :joy:

3 Likes

It looks like Ibanez has stopped exporting the little amp I was going to get, but the Promethean P3110D I tried was pretty sweet. 300W detachable head on a 10" speaker in a very small and light cab.

Sounded great to me at the time. Pretty neutral and clean though, not what I would be looking for in an amp now.

4 Likes

One warning I want to offer about this video. They are using the DI out for all of the recordings. You’re only getting the sound of the preamp. Listening live would be significantly different because of different speaker sizes, combinations, and designs.

Having said that, I like this video. There is a lot to learn from it. I wish more gear review videos did away with all the talking and stuck with the topic of the video like they did here.

4 Likes

Ah, thanks! Now, it does make a bit more sense (I guess) why they looked at a little 1x12 next to a larger 2x12 or 4x10 combo…

These guys actually have a lot of videos where there is zero talking :smile:

4 Likes

Dought! My bad @joergkutter.

I had missed the little blurb at the beginning that says, “The signal you hear is 50% DI and 50% microfon.” I find that surprising. All the different speakers didn’t seem to make any real difference. Weird.

You’re right. That channel has some pretty great videos.

4 Likes

I like the part where they compare the amps with a live drummer and different mics. I’m a Fender guy but I do like the output of the Markbass in this video. Altho I think you need a little bit more watt when playing with a drummer?

5 Likes