An open letter to Hipshot, shame on you

Since you’re the Engineer here, I’ll let you do the research. Please keep me posted.
(I’d prefer to NOT drill any holes if I can avoid it).

2 Likes

@John_E , thanks. If you do successfully communicate with Jim please tell him to drop me an email. I sent several but my last 3 were not answered I have close to $1000 at one point before my last weeken built in the cart but I couldn’t get any answers. Thanks

2 Likes

Grover is my mom’s favorite to this day!

3 Likes

Being a postal worker myself, watch any tracking number you’re given closely. Pay close attention to where each USPS scan is done. Each area of the country has a postal facility that is the “next step” before arriving at your post office. For me, it’s Hazelwood, MO, for instance. Once it arrives in Hazelwood, I know it’ll be here within 2 days, depending on the time scan (my stuff then goes to Peoria, IL). If you see scans disappear, something is going on. ALWAYS insist on a tracking number too, whether it’s Priority, 1st Class or Standard Post. It’s the only way to find a package if it’s missing.

4 Likes

@John_E Mine too Grover and Ernie! My wife’s too!

2 Likes

Hey @Al1885, what is your reco on non-hipshot. Pam and I have the same ESP bass and the tuners are very meh. Very difficult to tune, lots of ‘slop’.

I would have to check hole patterns of course.

2 Likes

@John_E nice looking tuners!

So @PamPurrs, I just checked the ESP website and it says these some sort of ESP house tuner. However, the $4,000 version of the bass has Gotoh tuners. I will do some measuring and see if I can find a match.

2 Likes

Stupid question, but when you say the ESP tuners are “sloppy”, have you tried simply tightening them?

Loose tuners are a pretty common problem. The manual should have details about how to tighten them if it isn’t obvious.

1 Like

Yes.
I think the desire to lightweight (note the missing metal) has cost some accuracy.

2 Likes

Damn, I knew I should have forked out that extra $3,500!

2 Likes

I’m actually just ordered graph tech ratio tuners for my next build. Also going for the gold Schaller for the next gold build. I also like my Da Vinci they look cool.

You can’t really go wrong with Schaller the EBMM and some vintage Fender use them. They hold their tune really well.

Also on the Fender’s build you can go with the light weight logo version. They are solid and hold the tune rather well.

2 Likes

Gotoh tuners are pretty solid. Their bridges are really high quality love the titanium one.

2 Likes

Yeah Gotoh is pretty common on high end basses here.

I also love Schaller products, best strap locks ever.

2 Likes

Well, they are made there!

3 Likes

Yeah, local favorite :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@PamPurrs well of course there are zero options that are ‘drop in’ matches for the screw pattern. Drilling new holes is not a big deal (did it on my squire). To that end there are many options, but……it doesn’t annoy me enough yet to do something about it, so, I am going to continue to ignore.

The Schallers look nice but only come in Black Chrome, which means ….shiny, which ain’t cool.
Grover ‘style appropriate’ (non wing key, lightweight, etc) only seem to come in chrome, Gotoh has black in the GB10 but posts are 2mm smaller which means building out the ferrules with tape or something to fit properly in the holes (not a big deal either have done it) but better to take one out and measure the hole to be sure.

Seems more trouble than it’s worth at this point.

2 Likes

My Frank Bella ESP sounds great and stays in tune, so no sense messing it with it. I was just curious.

1 Like

I’ve got a Gotoh bridge that came on the ESP Rocco Prestia bass, its super solid!

2 Likes

i Put all Gotoh hardware on the Yammie i pimped, good quality,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes