Another 4 bass or a new 5 strings bass?

It is worthwhile remembering that one of the main advantages of a 5 string is not just having five or so more lower notes available below the low E. It is much more advantageous that you can play certain lines more effectively on a 5 string as you have a better chance to keep your hand around the same position on the fretboard and don’t need to move “down” to reach an E, F, F#, but can reach those on the B string instead.

10 Likes

Yes, there’s that, and that is an important and frequently overlooked benefit of the 5 string. Thanks for pointing that out @joergkutter

4 Likes

You missed the point of my clarification.

What’s the D string equivalent of the 21st fret of the G string?

2 Likes

Name the popular song that requires the 21st fret of the G string

1 Like

Totally off-point. But this has already dragged out way too far for the simple clarification I was trying to make. So consider it let go.

1 Like

Okay, but I was hoping you would explain what point you were trying to make.

Thank you for that. I might go with a 5 strings bass. Also my band mates told to give a try.

3 Likes

Are both Yamaha correct?

4 Likes

I will might go with ESP LTD B205SM. Those days I am going into shop and try this bass out. I need to feel it

1 Like

I currently have, and foresee in the reasonable future, no use for any notes above the 17th fret on any string. And if I do, I will play a different song.

3 Likes

I agree @John_E . I’m also really curious what song that is that requires the low notes of the B string PLUS the 21st fret of the G string. That’s some serious range! :scream_cat:
I guess I’ll never find out…

1 Like

Good Vibrations goes up to fret 15 or 16, and that’s pretty high for a bass line.

1 Like

Does it also require the B string? If not, then I would just play it on my EADG bass. That’s my point. I seriously doubt Carole Kaye ever played on a BEAD bass or even a 5 string. Prove me wrong?

1 Like

ESPs a good brand. GC has several used for under $400, haven’t checked Reverb.

To me GC is no risk; I can buy a used bass and return it in 45 days if I don’t like it. I personally need time on a bass to see if I like it. Little too self conscious in a store

2 Likes

That’s the only thing I like about GC, they have stores here where I can return a bass. I’ve bought a couple on Sweetwater that I didn’t like, and had to pay to ship them back. I’ve gotten to the point where I won’t buy anything on Sweetwater if there’s even a remote possibility I may need to return it.

2 Likes

And you can get Sara her candy on the way back from GC if necessary.

3 Likes

I like GCs return policy and little else.

I like Sweetwater’s service, and they have paid for returns, but I haven’t returned anything I haven’t liked yet, but you and I are in different circumstances. I have to take a ferry to get to a guitar store, so shipping is cheaper.

Sweetwater warranties for 2 years, GC, when the 45 days are up, you’re SOL.

I bought my Squier P Bass for just over $200 on GC, there’s some good deals to be had. It is mint. And you can have confidence in the condition they list.

But new is also good to.

4 Likes

Perfect Kiss

She’s Lost Control

(Nice Rick, Hooky :slight_smile:
two of the most popular songs in their respective genres :slight_smile:

Saving for posterity :slight_smile:

This was my finding too, though. None that I typicallywould play did that I found.

2 Likes

Yes, and at the price point, can’t be beaten for quality and performance.

1 Like

Another fine choice :slight_smile:

2 Likes