Another way to use pedals

just caught this on the twitters. seems legit.

if they wired it so the knobs change the sound of the doorbell… that would be genius.

11 Likes

I thought I was under-utilizing a pedal, but this is on a different level. I have a
Behringer V-TONE BASS DRIVER DI BDI21 that I’m using only for the ground lift and the dual 1/4" and XLR outputs. Purely a ground lifting splitter for me - all the knobs have never left 12 o’clock.

2 Likes

that’s a cheap DI actually, if you always leave it off.

2 Likes

I leave it off - with XLR → mixer, and 1/4" → Rocksmith puretone cable → PC

3 Likes

Posting for posterity

2 Likes

Is this so that you can record RockSmith? Or else, why involve the mixer/pedal?

1 Like

It’s overkill, but I wanted precise control over the mix of what’s coming from my PC (Rocksmith, you tube backing track, tonelib Jam, b2b, etc) in relation to what’s coming from my bass and zoom b1 four. Mostly I want to be able to really hear my playing with all it’s ringing strings and flubs, etc and not lose those details I need to fix in the larger mix of a backing track… But when I want to just sit back in the mix and groove along I’m one slider adjustment away from ideal for that song. (I haven’t personally recorded Rocksmith or video ever… But I’ve used Spleeter to remove bass from a track and then recorded my own baseline using audacity)

2 Likes

Another way to use pedals : this home-made thing has one switch and a USB plug. It generates a mouse click event on a PC. I used it to manage which drum track the computer was playing, when we played live with one of my previous bands called Kernel Panic. It’s like a very minimal MIDI controller, somewhat.

15 years later, I still have it.

5 Likes

That’s genius. Have you seen the fully programmable OWL pedal on kickstarter? It’s "open source, open hardware, reprogrammable effects pedal designed for musicians, coders, and hackers. "

In general I think this kind of stuff is cool - but never enough time to dig in and really use things like this. The exception for me has been a Raspberry Pi that I use to run Pi-Hole. (Pi-hole was a game-changer on home network - no ads - on any device - ever. Not on phones, smart TV, streaming sticks, phones, etc. ).

1 Like

This reminds me of every successful band I know - where they have one member who figures out all the problems, makes the instruments/pedals/interface/recording gear all happen - probably does the website and graphic design too…
You’re that guy, aren’t you?

5 Likes

at least I was at the time, yeah

4 Likes

Yeah that was me too back then, along with one other bandmate. We even built our own speaker cabs.

4 Likes