Any opinions on 8-string basses?

Hmm what is this thing of which you speak… (checks google)

“A MIDI controller is a device that allows you to facilitate the movement of MIDImessages and making a coordinated attempt to create music.”

Aha! I see now :neutral_face:

Seriously though, I guess I can connect it to a laptop and play music through the laptop?

Yeah, it’s a keyboard controller that lets you play instruments, either virtual (in your computer) or physical (controlling hardware synthesizers, etc). MIDI itself is just a computer networking protocol that facilitates all the devices talking to each other. Recording software like DAWs and sequencers let you record and edit the MIDI notes generated by the controller as well.

It’s been the main way electronic musical instruments and computers have worked together for over 35 years.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s my take on it too. I did see yesterday that Lobster did a review. I like the sound.

3 Likes

And there’s Warwicks offering. Expensive but I would if I could

3 Likes

Interesting though not really my style. I’d like to hear a review of one though.

1 Like

The guy who owns it is on the Warwick forum and from what I’ve read is a pro-musician. If I can find out more I’ll try and get a sample of his band and post it.

2 Likes

You can get 8-string Streamers and Corvettes too. I’ve actually seen an 8-string bass in this shop but I can’t remember if it was this 'vette or not. Probably not as the vid is 7 years old.

4 Likes

Here you go….

3 Likes

Imagine setting up an 8 string with low tension flats like Labellas or TI’s and using stainless rounds for the octave strings. You’d combine the thump of flats with the zingyness of rounds. Bass-delicious.

3 Likes

Very nice sound! And, it’s actually available for lefties, in the Honey Satin version.

Also, Schecter offers a leftie 12 string bass, the dUg Pinnick DP-12 LH in Satin Black.

3 Likes

Sounds probably more advanced than what I would really need at the moment. I’d really be looking for something to have a tinkle with now and again and to practice the music theory from the course. Maybe I could run the output through some effects pedals? That could be a laugh :slight_smile:

That came out looking really good ! I love the drone effect he got on the strings. Still have to wait a bit for the piggy bank to fill up a bit though…

2 Likes

Never been interested in one, but really like the sound. Curse you GAS monster!

3 Likes

This might sound daft but having watched the videos of the Schecter Stiletto, I am tempted to try making an 8 string octave bass (the black 12 string looks incredibly cool but I once owned a 12 string mandolin and my fingers weren’t up to the job).

Tell me if I’m way off the mark:
a) Fretless – would flatwound bass strings and roundwound guitar strings work together ? would the guitar strings chew up the fretboard ?
b) Banjo tuners for the guitar strings to neaten up the headstock (I presume you buy a set of guitar 10’s and throw away the skinny e and b strings) ?
c) If anyone owns one of these beasts, is the gap between the bass and guitar octave strings about 2mm ?
d) Standard neck width at the nut 42mm + 3mm for the extra guitar e string ?
e) I also rather fancy having a crack at making a classical style bone bridge with a piezo-electric pickup, and a magnetic humbucker near the end of the neck. Any opinions on how this might sound ?
f) Brian May style spearhead headstock, and maybe steal the Schecter black LP body shape.

I can offer a couple of thoughts…

@John_E excellent food for thought, thanks

After seeing this, I had to rush out and buy a 12 string bass! NOT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNKfiirYMPE

But interesting way of forming a one man band maybe. OK, OK! One person band then.

4 Likes