Any Synth Bass Recommendations?

Been considering getting a synth bass. Don’t know too much about them. I can play piano a bit (it was my first instrument) and thought it could be fun to play synth bass sometimes as an alternative to the electric bass. I also quite like genres of music that use synth bass. Just for clarity, I’m not interested in synth bass pedals.

These are the ones that I was looking at so far. They are small and have an octave switch. I don’t want some massive behemoth.

3 Likes

not very sure what we’re talking about when we say “synth bass” : is it a keyboard (with an included synthesizer) that makes a low-key sound ? or a synthesizer that we control with a bass ?

I’m quite sure you’re talking about the first one, but if not … then the Line6 Bass Floor POD, and all the Line6 LowDown amps, have an insane synth.

1 Like

If you mean a synthesizer, I would strongly recommend sticking to software synths and get a MIDI keyboard controller. Unless you are really in to synthesizers, there is no reason to buy a hardware synth these days and lots of reasons not to.

I’d recommend learning about how to use virtual instruments in your DAW. Chances are your DAW already has a synth built in; I’m happy to make recommendations if not :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@howard is the guy on this subject. I’ll just chime in and say. I spent just over $100 to get a small midi controller and am using it to cheaply goof around in the world of synth and backing tracks. Not much money for how powerful this thing is. There are lot’s of other good choices of small midi controllers out there. I’ll leave that to the more experienced forum members.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MiniLabMk2--arturia-minilab-mkii-25-slim-key-controller

1 Like

For clarity, I mean a keyboard, for live performances.

4 Likes

My recommendation would be the same, good MIDI controller and some software synths. You’re going to need a computer to sequence the synth basslines anyway, whether they are hardware synths controlled via MIDI from the computer, or software ones controlled via MIDI as VSTi plugins in the DAW.

There’s a reason Ableton has “Live” in its name :rofl:

3 Likes

1000%

1 Like

If you want a synth. I would recommend Behringer Model D ( BEHRINGER MODEL D REVIEW and 15-minute manual - YouTube ) and some midi keyboard. You will have classic Minimoog sound and the footprint is minuscule in comparison to even original Minimoog.

Or SH 101. The Roland SH101 In Action - YouTube Original or clone. The machine is famous for its bass (Daft Punk, Prodigy … ) and has (if not Roland Boutique version) a keyboard. (I will actually be buying this machine in the next synth order.)

3 Likes

Not necessarily. Hardware sequencers don’t need PC.

1 Like

I’ve just spent the last hour practicing arpeggios watching videos on ‘best beginner synths’ on YouTube and I don’t even want one! GASsing for synths, what?

3 Likes

It’s much worse than Bass GAS. There’re so many different synths and the differences and possibilities are huuuuuuuge for every single one.

1 Like

Sure, and of course I have owned and used them - but they also suck badly UI-wise compared to using a computer for it :slight_smile:

Which is why so many people use computers live for this.

1 Like

Yeah - especially when you look at the vintage ones and tracking them down.

But in the end, for me anyway, software synths are just so much more versatile and easier to use. GASing for hardware synths - you really need to love them to get a lot out of that rabbit hole.

Not that I’m not tempted by some of course. Even the new analogs are cute, and man I kind of want all of behringer’s copies of the Roland reissues.

But in the end, software synths are just so much better to use from a usability standpoint. At least in my opinion.

1 Like

Man. Behringer’s synth division really is killing it though. They have cloned so many of the old analogs. Or things like the DeepMind, which is not a direct clone but definitely a spiritual successor from the Juno.

Looks like they are releasing a 16-voice Prophet-5 clone soon too. This would be another classic, nearly a perfect learning hardware synth, and definitely used in a lot of synth bass. Very simple synth that sounds great with all the basics you need for learning subtractive synthesis.

Still, it took me less than five minutes to make a workable Prophet clone in Phase Plant, with theoretically infinite polyphony. Same would be true in Pigments or most other modern software synths. They are just so versatile. This is what keeps me from GASsing for hardware synths - the software is just so good now.

2 Likes

I’d definitely defer to @wellbi for knowledge of modern hardware synths, especially specific models - I just know enough to know that software is definitely the path I would take :slight_smile:

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t jealous of his new ARP 2600 clone :slight_smile:

1 Like

Arturia Microfreak is a pretty cool piece of hardware :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Absolutely, the Arturia analogs look great. The PolyBrute looks very cool to me. Same keybed as the Keylab 61 too :slight_smile:

If I were seriously going to look for an analog clone or reissue it would probably be to hunt down a good Roland Jupiter-8 clone for a great balance of sound, versatility, and ease of use. It looks like Behringer is working on one now.

An actual Jupiter-8 would set you back thousands. There is always the Roland reissue or clones though.

But really I am a lot more in to digital synthesis. The last hardware synth I owned was a digital/analog hybrid, and our other synths were pure digital. Even with a hardware synth I would go the digital route, but really at that point, the software synths are perfect.

1 Like

Have you tried VCV rack? I play with it every time I have the urge to get/build a hw synth and it cures me :joy:

I have an older lower end yamaha keyboard and an Arturia midi controller and they are good enough that I don’t keep buying more hardware and I’ve got enough sw to keep me busy for a while. :slightly_smiling_face:

The only thing I’ve learned @JT is that the world of synth is a massive rabbit hole and I don’t want to go any deeper.
Finished playing bass last night at about 10. Plugged in my Arturia MIDI controller to create a quick loop in Garage Band for one of my bass exercises. Look at the clock and it’s 1am. WTF, I’m now tired :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well, I spent the last few days just rerouting and tidying up my studio. That’s one of the main advantages of software. You don’t have to figure out how you want to route things, how you want midi to behave etc. etc. . It’s fun for the first time, but now I just hate myself every time I have an idea about a new routing.

2 Likes