Any Synth Bass Recommendations?

Did you actually get Acid V?

That thing is crazy!

No I have Phoscyon 2. I will get Acid V for free when I upgrade to V Collection 10, which is expected in December-ish.

1 Like

The drum sound they got out of it sounds a lot like a 909 :rofl:

Actually a little better tbh, but I assume it can’t get any cleaner. Love a lot of the other sounds there too.

Looking further in the vid, I really like the sound of their filter.

2 Likes

Every time I see demos of some of the more wacky voltage-controlled modular synths I get reminded of how important limiters are :rofl:

1 Like

Man. Behringer’s synth division is really kicking butt. All of their current models sound great to me, and their Sequential Prophet-1, Prophet-600, Korg MS-20 and Moog Model D clones all sound spot on to me. Their new Oberheim OB-Xa clone looks amazing, and the RSF Kobol Expander clone is actually unique and tempting. The prices are all Behringer low and apparently the build quality is great.

Many take external audio in and the MS-20 (Behringer K-2) in particular looks really flexible there. Plug in bass, play synth :slight_smile:

@wellbi do you own any of these? Their ARP-2600 looks and sounds spot on. For an original, the Neutron looks pretty solid to me too. The prices are insane.

edit: lol just checked out your pic above and you own four of them, plus a Microfreak, which I think looks super fun too :rofl:

2 Likes

My “review”:
Model D - One OSC went bad (Decupled from pitch CV) 3 months after the warranty ended.
Pro1 - I love this one.
2400 - I have the cheapest one with digital reverb emulation. (There’s also Blue Marvin etc. with a regular spring reverb.) The reverb emu is kind of bad. Other than that, a great piece.
Deepmind 12 - Great value/price proposition. The not-so-infrequent issue for a lot of people is noisy output. I have a good one., luckily
Neutron is good. But, the unit I bought had a really hard time staying in tune. I returned it.
IMHO, Behringer products do hit a bit above their price level, but, not that much.

Microfreak is interesting. Absolutely digital even with the analog filter in the chain. In one of the after-release firmware updates Arturia brought the possibility to import custom-built wavetables. The modulation matrix is ingenious.

3 Likes

They do look really cool for what they are. I kind of have digital more than covered though :slight_smile:

Ever try the Brutes? MiniBrute and MicroBrute look interesting, though maybe kind of too limiting given only a single oscillator and sub - would rather have two full oscillators for sure.

This is apparently a thing across several of them. Apparently some require trim pot adjustment to intonate across more than two octaves, even when tuned. What can I say, it’s Uli :rofl:

2 Likes

I tried this pot adjustment when the Model D OSC went bad (Credit to Behringer, their video on the topic is good.), but it didn’t help. I am just waiting for the CS-80 clone from Uli and Co. and that’s it for me when it comes to Behringer. Maybe, maybe! SH-101 clone when I will find some second-hand, cheap piece.

I had Microbrute for a weekend. Man, I think, I don’t like the sound of Arturia analog oscillators or the way they are implemented. I have both Drumbrutes and in their case, the whole interface and what it can do is way above the price grade, but the sound is … lacking somehow. But I know there’s a lot of people who like them, so it’s definitely just a personal choice. But I have a bunch of Volcas, and for example, Volca Kick or Bass, these little boxes have so much more “oomph” than I could ever hear from anything analog by Arturia.

2 Likes

This seems to be a common opinion. People love the things for the controls and don’t like the sound.

So far I am digging sound bites of the Pro-1 and the Kobol Expander a lot. The K-2 is… a bit too MS-20, if you know what I mean.

The Model D sounds good too, but I have an unpopular opinion about Moog - I think they only truly work great for bass. But there they are hard to beat.

2 Likes

Pro1 is my favorite Behringer clone, bar none. Not only does it have exactly that characteristic sound of the original (At least it sounds like that to me.), but also improves a bit on the old one. (MIDI and paraphony … both weren’t a thing for the original synth.) 2600 is a lot of fun to mess around, but the sound is a little bit underwhelming. And I really like Deepmind, it’s really … deep. Regarding the Model D, I know what you mean. It’s not like it can’t do other things, but why would you, when there are literally countless better options for leads, pads, etc.? But a bit detuned stack of 3 Moog-sounding OSCs in the bass register? Hard to beat it with pretty much anything else even 50 years later.

2 Likes

Yeah that plus the Moog ladder filter - classic. Tough to beat.

1 Like

Hmm. The MiniBrute 2 sounds quite a bit better down in the bass than the OG one.

1 Like

This is probably a terrible plan but I just made an offer on a Kobol Expander. We’ll see :slight_smile:

Buying used Behringer gear seems like a big gamble but this one is basically new has an unregistered warranty that I will be immediately registering.

1 Like

Sometimes you gotta gamble! Hope you get a good one :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I am more worried about being sucked back in to hardware synths, lol. There’s one more I will definitely be getting (Behringer Pro-1) and one maybe (Arturia MiniBrute 2S).

I knew all this rack space would tempt me.

2 Likes

…and just like that, I own my first hardware synth in 23 years. And it’s an analog semi-modular :rofl:

We’ll see if it works when it arrives.

5 Likes

@howard , you made me open my old, synth-ready, Ableton template with all my synths setup. I barely use them nowadays, as I end up “playing” bass/guitar every time I spend some time with Ableton. I have a couple of free days ahead this week, so I will channel my inner synth-addict into some electronic music. But, man, the option paralysis is really a thing in my case.

1 Like

Clearly you need a new synth to clarify things. Still the Modwave and Wavestate to round out your Korgs :rofl:

Arturia calls to you. The Matrix Brute says hello…

1 Like

Yeah a MiniBrute 2S is on the list. No room for a MatrixBrute. Room for a PolyBrute but that’s expensive even if the PolyBrute Noir is kind of calling me.