Anybody know where I can get custom handrests?

Guys, name the player !

Przechwytywanie

Of course it was Lemmy, but the keen-eyed among you have probably noticed that he is playing a Thunderbird, and more importantly - a Thunderbird with some kind of custom hand rest. Some detective work reveals that the older T-birds had bridge and pickup covers but this looks more like a one-off modification for this bass.

Anybody got any idea where I may be able to order a custom handrest for my t-bird? No way can I make one myself - I can barely put a cheese sandwich together.

4 Likes

doesn’t it looks pretty close to a Fender pickup cover ?

3 Likes

Hey @terb - that could be it!

Other people bring me questions but you bring me answers :grin: thanks man :+1::+1:

3 Likes

Occam’s Razor.

4 Likes

Looks like a bent piece of sheet metal. As far as I know there hasn’t been any factory pickup covers with 4 mounting screws and square mounting edges.
Edit: Nevermind. Looking REALLY close at the photo I think he’s right; looks like the fender one

2 Likes

I was thinking that @mpops1990 but based on some rough measurements I think the fender could do the job. Pretty cheap too!

2 Likes

That thing kinda looks like a Rickenbacker pickup cover :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

its a Gibson T-Bird IV

2 Likes

There seem to be other pictures of Lemmy with the same (?) Thunderbird :face_with_monocle:

Lemmy_TB2

Lemmy_TB3

3 Likes

Well, the first an third are obviously different ones, bt the one in the middle could be the same without the metal cover.

2 Likes

Any welding shop.
I bet its stainless steel vs. chrome.

2 Likes

Top one looks like a normal fender one.

2 Likes

Hah! I wondered but it looks a little too square - and rick covers are a fair bit wider

1 Like

Yessir

2 Likes

Hmm. I think the top and bottom pics were the stock vintage T-bird but the middle may have been a later model? nice pics though - I’ll add them to my Lemmy shrine :smiley:

2 Likes

It might come to that - the Fender pickguard looks promising but it has to be pretty narrow (something like 3.75 inches between the holes) so I don’t have to drill into the pickguard…

1 Like

If you can live with Fender ashtray do it. Custom made ones are stupidly expensive, I went to check out the custom made control plate for my MusicMan Sabre bass the metal shop wanted $150 for the first piece. That’s a flat piece of sheet metal, lol. While I didn’t expect it to be $20 $150 is steep.

Of course, if you have the skills and equipments and/or have a friend who own a metal shop it could probably get done for less than $5, lol.

4 Likes

Thanks what I’m thinking. It’s maybe 20 dollars for the Fender - if it doesn’t fit then hey maybe I’ll use it as a bike ornament :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Before you drill any holes to mount it, mount it first with the double sided tape. I could almost guarantee you that you would not like how it plays. Aside from looking good and shielding electronics it a poorly functional piece of metal when it comes to hand placement.

6 Likes

Maybe use a few strips of painter’s tape instead of double-sided. That stuff has some serious mastic that could damage the finish. Painter’s tape is a much safer bet.

5 Likes