Anyone know anthing about G&L?

I’m new here; looking around. Still looking for my first bass. The G&L Tribute SB-2 looks interesting to me. It’s a PJ bass with a satin neck, and it looks pretty good, but I haven’t found it in the local stores here in Houston. Anyone know anything about G&L as far as quality? Everything looks good – except the missing tone pot.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Heard only good things about it :grinning:

1 Like

I played one in Guitar Center about a week ago. Seems like it would be an exceptional first Bass. But all answers to this question come with the caveat that you have to go with whatever is good to you.

1 Like

I know some G&L guitars, the quality is pretty high.

1 Like

Thanks for the input guys. This SB-2 has a light green color, although G&L has it as a blue (this confused the reviewer too; G&L SB-2 Tribute - [DEMO] - YouTube ). The only thing that bugs me about it is no tone control; I suppose I can make do on the amp since there’s no immediate threat of me gigging on stage anywhere :laughing:

I am also looking a 20th Anniversary Squier PJ. I love the Fender look, and this one has an interesting color (Champagne?). I have no idea what quality level this bass is, or even how old old it may be. But, I’ve been in contact with the owner, and it seems to be well cared for. I think this would be a good first bass since it isn’t quite the investment as a MIM Fender or even the G&L. Hope to look at that one tomorrow.

I have a bass amp that a friend gave me. It’s not much ( Crescent 6"; no idea on power). At 6" inches, it’s probably pretty lame, but then again at this stage, I am pretty lame, and the price is right. Failing that I have an Audio Interface.

I can’t wait. The adventure will soon begin…

Thanks!
Ken T.

2 Likes

Squier is a great choice to get started . . . I really like mine! :slight_smile:

Good luck in your adventure and have fun!

Cheers, Joe

1 Like

@kwt7667 We just had a very similar conversation on another thread. As a new bass player, I would recommend starting with the less expensive instrument. It will give you time to figure out what you really want and what works best for you. As you get more play time under your belt you will start to figure out whether having that tone knob on the bass is important or not for you. It will also give you more time to get out there and lay your hands on more instruments to be able to see how they’re different and find out what little things might put you off an instrument that you never even considered before. For myself, the instrument I decided on was not at all on the radar of what I thought I wanted until I put my hands on it.

2 Likes

Eric,

That’s exactly what I just did. I just brought home a 17 year old Gold Squire 20th Anniversary Edition P-Bass, says “Precision Bass” on the head stock, but it it is actually a PJ. It has upgraded pickups. Cost me $200 from a nice gentleman who wanted it to have a nice home. It looks pretty nice for an instrument that is as old as it is. Not perfect though, but it’s solid in the ways are most important. Two issues: The input jack is loose; looks like the jam nut got away. Maybe I can find a nice Switchcraft jack to put in there. The other issue is the rear pickup pot is tilted (took a hit?). I’d like to get in there eventually and see what’s up with that.

But, for now, I’m just going to play. I plugged it into my 6" Crescent Bass amp ( Free!), and it sounded fine. No buzzing or anything like that. Can’t wait to start B2B!

Thanks!
Ken T.

3 Likes

@kwt7667 Congratulations! Now you need to post a picture so we can see it. If you’re up for it, go here… Show Us Your Basses.

2 Likes

Done!

2 Likes

Ken that sounds like a great Bass, the PJ on a P body gives you plenty of tone options. It will be a keeper @kwt7667

1 Like