Are You Plucking the Wrong Way? (Raking v. Alternating Showdown)

Great video, @JoshFossgreen. The Street Fighter stuff was, in fact, rad.

Is it wrong that I want you to do a video on the unlocked character, One Finger Pluck? That dude jammed on those songs at the end.

5 Likes

What is the consensus about using 3 or 4 for plucking 16ths?

2 Likes

Billy Sheehan does it, so it can’t be wrong :wink:

2 Likes

Billy Sheehan does it, so it can’t be wrong :wink:

Yeah, but he also does a straight 3 fingers to four note pattern that repeats, which is just a total mind job on me. If you have running 16ths, using his method, each set is starting out on a different finger. 3-2-1-3; 2-1-3-2; 1-3-2-1; etc.

Makes much more sense to me to do a 3-2-1-2; 3-2-1-2 pattern so that you are at least using the name plucking finger to start each set of 16th notes. Doing syncopated accents with Sheehan’s running 3 finger style is like trying to do calculus on a roller coaster.

2 Likes

For “normal” playing - you can do pretty much anything with two fingers. Any time someone says you need more fingers for speed, I just say… Jaco.

But if you’re doing 3 - yeah you can either 321 321 like Sheehan and work on your accent patterns, or you can 3212, or some people do 2123. Up to you! Personally I don’t have a strong 3 finger alternating game, I just use two.

10 Likes

Added to Module 2 of the BassBuzz YouTube Video Guide.

Those are some seriously great graphics Josh. :sunglasses: :+1:

5 Likes

Or, Use a pick if you really want to, but overall, metal sounds so much stronger, at least thrash metal where the bass is halved, or even offset with syncopation, to the rate of the guitar chugs.
Josh pointed this in the Cliff Burton video, in the section where he compares Fight Fire with Fire, the whole track, to the guitar track, to Cliff Bass track and back to the whole track again, I believe, correct me if I am wrong about songs and example order.

But the speed almost does not pay off in the end, and is probably the real reason why they took Jason’s bass tracks off of the AJFA album (or at least cut them way down and boosted the guitars).
I have seen other videos pointing this out too.
There are videos showing this on YT, for Slayer Raining Blood, and Metallica’s Battery. They point out the differences when the bass track is played slower than the guitars, and it really sounds so much larger.
And
Now when I listen to a lot of old 80’s thrash after not hearing it for such a long time, I start going, where is the bass line? and think, Ahhh, it is stuck on Guitar speed with a pick.

This was a very cool video Josh, love the artwork, time very well appreciated. :vulcan_salute:

4 Likes

3 is good for fast triplets but I cant decide which order of three and also I don’t care :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I did fender play before B2B and they teach raking early on so I’ve always done that… I’m a lazy/efficient sort of guy. I’ll rake everything I can as long as it’s not a lawn :grin:

4 Likes

So if I’m going down the third fret from D string to E string (F-C-G) obviously raking is the way, but what do I do with the fretting hand? Bar it and tilt my way down to mute as I go or try to walk my fingers (I/M) down them?

2 Likes

I’d roll two of them, and fret the third normally. So either MII or MMI.

2 Likes

Thats a whole separate video. :wink:

Both work, It depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
If it is a slow song, and I have plenty of time, I would probably walk them down. If it is fast, and it it tricky, before this move, and / or after it, you will have to work it out and see what works. If you approach and are ready to rake thru, yeah, that is the way to go, but also, where do you need to go after, and which finger will work for that, because alternating on a string, could set you up better for your next moves.

2 Likes

I clicked on the link to this thread from my message bar, and I read the title, and thought.
"Yes, I do pluck “The Wrong Way”, as I do all my covers.

Then I got here and realized, I was back at the new Bass Buzz Video link. :thinking: :man_shrugging:

What a shocker.
Not a joke, thats the first thing that went thru my mind, I just didn’t remember a thread about it. :smiley:

3 Likes

It’s quarter notes at 130 but can’t be sloppy. It’s kinda a jazzy walking bass but a little sideways (due to who’s music it is).
Have to go to F on the E (1st fret) after so not too bad. Just need it clean and in time.

3 Likes

Bar with ring finger (roll it, really) if you can’t get all 3 at the same time, just roll with the rake. Rolling will help with Muting and Ring out
This way you can fret F with Index finger

Yeah, I can roll it pretty easily with Pinky or Ring. I raked with Middle Finger then micro shift to first finger on E and pluck with Index.

If you had to play it super clean, like for recording or just because.
Possibly
Make a chord like shape with Pinky on the F, and ring on the C. (like 1 fret up from starting Billie Jean).
And kind of SUS the cord the G with your 2nd finger (for me it is easier to start with two fingers down, and as I Rake thru, I can pull off my Pinky, and drop the Middle onto the G while raking thru the C.
Hope that made sense.
If you can’t figure it out, you would use all 4 fret fingers.

That is if you need that extra control from fretting with the tips of your fingers.

3 Likes

Great video @JoshFossgreen - love the Street Fighter style. Of course the most impressive part was single-finger plucking Girls On Film :slight_smile:

Blonde Josh was also totally reminding me of Todd The Vegan from Scott Pilgrim.

5 Likes

So I’ve put a bit of time into this now and raking actually makes a lot of sense in some circumstances.
Once I broke the I/m muscle memory it actually feels really natural , the clunkiness has gone and this technique has really added some fluidity I guess it’s like using a pick there’s a time and a place , really thankful for this video @JoshFossgreen

6 Likes

I rake all the time. When I was playing guitar, I was trying to learn sweeping and I think raking is a natural extension of that. I do it cleanly, with no extraneous noises going on. I can do it fast and actually make it sound good. One of the only things that do sound good when I play lol.

4 Likes

Absolutely great video. Had me genuinely laughing, all whilst learning. Bravo :smiley:

4 Likes

I miss street fighter :slight_smile:

3 Likes