Ariane Cap and her bass books

I recently bought her books on theory and patterns. Honestly, some of it is really over my head at this point of my bass journey. I just finished the B2B Module 8 Lesson 4 (I think, the one with “AllStar”). It may be that I need to finish B2B to really understand a lot of what she is talking about. Should I just continue reading and hoping some of her message sticks as I am doing B2B or should I finish B2B so I know what she is talking about when I pick her books back up and start trying to comprehend?

3 Likes

I would finish B2B first.

1 Like

It’s been a while, so I can’t say for sure, but I think I was pretty close to the end of B2B when I read Ari’s first book (Theory for Bass Player). I had also taken a couple of Mark Smith’s courses at that time, so I think I was ready.
She’s very heavy on theory (which I love) and learning intervals (which is an essential skill).

6 Likes

Like @PamPurrs I did Ari’s first book but after B2B was done, along with Talkingbass.net (Mark Smith’s) Chord Tones Class. If I did it again, I would do Mark’s scales class with Ari’s book.

Here’s the thing about theory…

• you won’t get it all the first pass, its a HUGE world of info
  • it will take several times through to burn it into your brain
  • stuff will go over your head, make a note of it, go back to it.
  • I play sax as well for over 10 years and I still have stuff in Ari’s book to go back to, and most other courses too.

Ari offers study groups that might help you IF you like her teaching style.

Remember, these crazy kids go to music school to learn this stuff 24/7 for 4 years, they live and breath it. Most of us are sneaking it in when the ‘others’ in our households are leaving us alone.

Take what sinks in, skip what doesn’t, it will later, I promise (what I can’t promise, is how later it will be, YMMV).

7 Likes