B2B help!

Hello all,

I am on Module #1, Lesson #6 of the B2B course. Josh is going over the slide, sliding down from fret #20 - I find that my fingers are too short to be able to do this very well. I tried using my middle finger, which helped a little. But I am still having trouble doing it as he does. Thanks for any help with this!

Brad

1 Like

Check your hand position, wrist, etc.
You should be able to get this.

Have a look at Josh’s new video on this topic of small hands and reach too….

Keep in mind that a slide on the farthest string doesn’t require that you keep your fret hand thumb positioned on the back of the neck. Arch your wrist over the fretboard as much as you need to fret the slide’s first note, then relax your thumb and slide away. It’s easier to do than it sounds. Keep at it. You got this.

1 Like

Thanks, all. I will check out the video. My bass is a 20-fret (short scale?).

Back to the B2B course!

Brad

When you slide, let your hand, wrist, arm/elbow, etc go loose and yeah, this is where I don’t GAF if I bend my wrist, etc.

You may need/want to adjust the angle and height of the bass, too.

Fender-ish. You can have 19 frets on a 35" scale and 24 on a 30" scale (30 is considered short). Scale is the length of the vibrating string between the bridge saddle and the nut (the end of the neck where it passes toward the tuners)

If you play seated (as i mostly do during practice) you could check if you’re maybe keeping the bass too straight/parallel to your chest. If you do you will notice that you have far less mobility to the upper frets simply because your torso gets in the way. If so you should angle your bass away from your body (40/45 degrees should do).

2 Likes

I don’t remember that exercise specifically but for sliding it’s about not pressing too hard, like they have said you don’t need your thumb much and certainly don’t press hard down on the string
Relaxing is the key
Maybe start with short distances and get longer as you nail them, also don’t rush the slide just keep a steady pace until you reach your destination

2 Likes

I Think slides happen better As you do them more, just like everything else. Keep on with it, you’ll find it.

Everyone here had really good advice, the only thing i can add is-don’t stress it too much. Stress makes it harder because we pressure ourselves.
Relax, play something different, sleep on it. You’ll get it.

2 Likes