Backward step

As has been already identified, you’re going through nicotine withdrawal.
I’m surprised you can type. It affects people in different ways, but stress is the least of it. Don’t be too surprised at other things happening. I’m feeling pretty confident you’ll be back to normal in a month. Hopefully you’ll be able to keep off them.

Here in Australia, we have the most expensive cigarettes in the world.
I just saw an used Ibanez SR300 on Gumtree that I could have bought for 101.3 cigarettes

3 Likes

It’s certainly gotten ridiculous! Over $100 for 50g of decent rolling tobacco,papers and filters.
So with 2 of us smoking in the house we’re looking at somewhere around $200 - $300 a week!

2 Likes

I quit smoking 9 or 10 months ago, it’s very hard at first but becomes more and more “normal” with time. I really don’t regret the hard effort, I think it’s worth it and it saves some money to buy bass things :v::grin:

5 Likes

Good man @terb
I’m already coughing a lot less than I was after a few days. Did you just stop smoking or use the tablets,gum,sprays etc that are available?

4 Likes

I tried everything to quit smoking, I have a very hard and long love/hate relashionship with nicotin …

the tablets, gums, patches didn’t work for me. but the electronic cigarette has been the solution : I switched to the e-cig in 2012 and lowered the nicotin very very slowly (during 7-8 years !) until there were almost no nicotin at all, and then I stopped.

I’m pretty sure the same protocol would work with a much shorter time decreasing the nicotin level :grin:

6 Likes

Cool :sunglasses: Thanks @terb
I’ve gone “ cold turkey “ which I am regretting

5 Likes

I stopped some ten years ago, but I did rely on medication. It went quite smoothly, however, you always need to pay attention not to be tempted again… But that’s the same for any addiction :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Yeah I’m hearing you there @Krescht :joy:

5 Likes

It’s been the same with me with caffeine. I was a coffee abuser since high school (like, at least an entire pot of coffee before going to work). I love caffeine so damn much.

But sometime in the last year, my body flipped and I became super sensitive to it. i can’t have any now. Even black tea or full strength green tea spikes my heart rate and BP. It’s like over a couple months my body did a total 180 and said “ok junkie that’s enough.”

Had to quit cold turkey this month. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. i hate it.

5 Likes

That’s pretty serious stuff @howard

I was reading @Krescht comment again and giggling thinking about all those comedown Tuesday’s I went through at one point in life. Don’t miss them :joy:

4 Likes

I quit when they hit $1 per pack. Now I see them for as much as $10 per pack in some places.

4 Likes

yeah here in France it’s crazy expensive too now, like 10€ per pack

4 Likes

Yeah me too. In my case it is compulsive eating. I finally got to a point where I started managing what and how much I eat. No negative effects for that fortunately…I feel so much better. :slightly_smiling_face: Hopefully I can hold it together, I have 55 lbs to go…

7 Likes

Yeah, and one often goes with the other, and you could actually start smoking again, only to find you are back to drinking / drugging all over again just cuz you started smoking.

I stopped for 5 years, then started slowly back to full smoking, then I started using e-cigs, then full vaping. I have been off an on cigs, but have not bought a pack in. over 3 months. I do vape, but it is WAY WAY WAY cheaper. I get buy on about $60 a month vape juice and coils, and when smoking it was over $300 a month.

3 Likes

Ha Ha, I remember getting 7 cents change on smokes back in the day. of course, I was too young to buy them then, but the laws were way more lax back then, so we found places to sell them to us anyway.

I remember saying “I am quitting as soon as they go to $3”
and then saying
“I am quitting as soon as they go to $4”
And then $5
First time I quit they were around $7
Now they are over $10 at most stores and gas stations.
I can still find them for under $8 at certain smoke shops, but I am not buying them anymore

4 Likes

When I started smoking you could get a pack for 85 cents. I have no idea how people afford it now.

5 Likes

It’s an addiction so like any other type of addiction you just do unfortunately.

3 Likes

I quit while I was in Australia. The clinic in Woomera couldn’t do a TB test so they xrayed my chest and found a spot on my lungs that they couldn’t identify. They set up an appointment in Adelaide 2 months later and suggested I quit smoking. I was 3 packs a day but then they were cheap as long as you were military maybe $.30 a pack of 20 smokes. So I quit, Adelaide hospital couldn’t find what they had seen in Woomera suggested it might have been a shadow. I quit cold turkey and still remember what a bastard I was doing it. Had my supervisor roll up on a day off with a bottle of beam and a carton of smokes, “we’re gonna drink this and smoke these or else you’re gonna end up in trouble I can’t get you out of”. He proceeded to go through a laundry list of disrespectful things I had said and done over the last 2 months its a wonder that they didn’t send me home minus a stripe. But that was more than 25 yrs ago and I still haven’t had a smoke since that xray. If I can do this, you can do it, you just need the right motivation.

5 Likes

Funny you saying about that X-ray @Tokyo_Rat. When I got hit by the car 12 months ago I was X-rayed when I got to the hospital and they found several legions on my lungs as well as a cyst in my liver ! Of course I thought the worst case scenario and went into deeper panic mode than I already was but 3 months later my lungs came back clear and my cyst was pronounced benign although I will now have to have yearly checks.
It certainly takes you to a dark place when they mention spots on your lungs !

7 Likes

Not to be too much of a downer here but both of my parents died of smoking related lung cancer. Good on y’all for quitting - that shit will kill you.

(not recently or anything, it’s been years.)

7 Likes