Bass Books!

Any skill, whether it’s music, law, or medicine is best learned via a combination of study and application. Study could be in the form of books, classroom, video, or other medium; application comes in the form of practice or practical utilization of the skill. One without the other is largely ineffective in my experience.

2 Likes

This is why I am really enjoying Ari Cap’s online course that complements her first book. She explains the theory and then teaches practical exercises that show you the why and how of the theory. Small, bite size chunks - done in your own time and always there to go back to or spend longer on if it’s not sinking in.

6 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

I am with you here. Playing with others is so much more enjoyable than sitting by yourself and playing to a backing or drum track. And as a side benefit you may learn something because it is presented from a different point of view.

For example practicing scales without using any open strings.
IMHO this has two advantages 1-It is easier to fret a note up the fingerboard a little and 2-Although the notes are the same pitch wise the timbre is different and sounds more pleasant.
I have known about both for many years but did not know until recently why a fretted note has more color to it than the same note played open. Thank you @howard

1 Like

Just got this….

4 Likes

Very nice, @John_E . . . :wink:

Cheers and happy reading to you!
Joe

1 Like

Bass (and guitar and drums and amps oh my).

I really great book for the price on Amazon. Beautiful and dead on accurate.

Written by the same guy who owns this amazing shop.

1 Like

After learning Lady Writer for the ‘post your covers’ thread and realizing what a great Bass line it was, I started reading a bit more about him. Then I saw this book used and thought I’d give it a look.

So once I’ve read it (that could be a while if there are big words) I’d like to pass it on. If any Bass Bazz regular is interested in it I’ll pass it on for free, just cover my postage costs.

Send me a message If you’d like to read all about John Illsley and The Straits.

4 Likes

New book at bedtime for me. The story of Stax Records.

6 Likes

I keep eyeing off Geddy Lee’s book. I really enjoyed John Taylor’s book ‘In the Pleasure Groove’.

3 Likes

Available only on Kindle (unfortunately for the non-Kindle users in the crowd) for the bargain price of $3.99. Important note: There are NO tabs in this book. NO TABS. That’s right, I said NO TABS.

51mEaxs-dpL

5 Likes

Thanks. No tabs is fine with me. :+1:

I thought you were a Kindle Free Zone.

1 Like

You can get the How to Play the Electric Bass books (as physical thin books) and many others at the Carole Kaye website (catalog link), but she does not offer Kindle or other electronic formats. Yes, all are in standard notation.

That can change in a sixteenth note.

oh noes, whatever will one do??? :joy:

Sweet it’s on kindle unlimited and all mine for the price of $0 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was really digging it until I got to this:

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 7.24.47 PM

:laughing:

1 Like

Fun on a piano :slight_smile:

I thought you would probably say that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mr Oizo approves.