Bass buying guidance… for a newbie

Thanks to everyone for making some really great suggestions. I’m going to do a little price shopping before I put my order in today, although everywhere seems to have the same prices. I noticed that additional/extended coverage options are available for purchase. Has anyone found these useful? Thanks again!

3 Likes

Call them up. Big box store can not publish lower than MAP Manufacturers Advertised price, if you call you can get 10-15% off at Guitar center/ Musiciansfriends (same company) not so much at Sweetwater. Depending on where you live, try Musicstore live/ pitbull audio (same company) they give good discount as well. All offers free shipping.

Also check out Alamo music, Chicago exchange, just call them you’d be surprised. Call around.

If you are getting one (in stock) from guitar center you can Message me and I’ll give you my rep’s email and phone number. He can give you good deals. It usually takes him a day or two to get to the Messege but he’s good and aggressive with discounts.

2 Likes

Most basses if they fail, fail out of the box. I don’t know an extended warranty brings value in my opinion, and if you’re concerned about that consider Sweetwater which gives a 2 year warranty.

Also consider GC over Musician’s Friend. Same company, but while GC will handle MF returns, they will not handle MF warranties. I bought a bass new from MF, when I got it the preamp was faulty, and called in for warranty from MF several times and never got a call back, so after a couple weeks I drove into my local GC. They said they couldn’t handle the warranty, so I returned it on the spot. Which they did.

When I had a similar issue with Sweetwater, they had me on the phone doing diagnostics with their tech team and then scheduled a pickup by Fedex at my house the next day

If you shop on Reverb, most of the box stores have a presence and if you watch an instrument, many will give you an offer with a discount. But like @Al1885 says, call them up.

2 Likes

Purchase complete! Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and input. It was invaluable. As the saying goes, “You don’t know what you don’t know” and there is a lot know and learn here. Now I just need to get some B2B lessons going!

3 Likes

Not me, nor anyone I have heard of.

2 Likes

What did you get?

1 Like

Ibanez SR2600 (so I look cool, as I play terribly)
Fender Rumble 40 (so everyone can hear how terribly I play)
Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X (so everyone doesn’t hear how terribly I play, lol)

Plus a stand, strap, & cable. Should be enough to get me going.

6 Likes

Cool. Here’s a simple bass formula that someone told me when I was starting.

5 mins a day = sucking at bass for a very long time
15 mins a day = sucking at bass for a long time
Etc
Etc

Welcome to the nicest forum :metal:

4 Likes

Got it! :rofl:

1 Like

Pretty sweet setup. Did you get a tuner by chance so your terrible playing will be in tune?

2 Likes

Good advice! I hate it when my terrible playing is out of tune! :rofl:

Congratulations @AZbassist ! That’s a beautiful bass. Be sure and share pictures when you get it.

1 Like

I actually do have a tuner. I have a ukulele that I got from Costco years ago and it came with one. Ironically though, that little ukulele never gets out of tune.

2 Likes

Should get it next week or maybe the week after. I’ll share some pics.

1 Like

Nice.

9v batteries. Get a pack. Batteries on new basses sometimes don’t work, and even if they do, there is nothing worse than plugging in your bass and nothing happens. Keep a pack in your case.

You’ll want strap locks. Straps wear and loosen up over time and fall off while your playing, resulting in the bass dropping unexpectedly. Probably months down the road but inevitable.

Even the rubber grommets work well. I prefer the Ernie Ball grommets, but Schaller is the best of the ones where you can remove the strap

And I think that’s all you need, or at least all I would need.

1 Like

Yeah, those are the things I’m not thinking of.

1 Like

You definitely want a good tuner and strap locks. I also recommend the Schallers.

You got an outstanding instrument!

2 Likes

Look at a Yamaha TRBX304. Hard to beat the price and it’s a great ax. For an amp I would suggest you buy a headphone amp that’ll blue-tooth to your phone. Play your butt off on anything you like music wise then decide someday if you wanna buy an amp for home practice. headphone amps area great way top learn to play without annoying anyone else in the house.

1 Like

Thanks. I have enough pts I should be able to get a tuner for free!

2 Likes

Excellent. Most people (including me) will recommend the Peterson Strobostomp.

2 Likes

In general not useful at all but I used that to my advantage a few times. Usually the rep gets more commission on the warranty so as an incentive I sometimes offer to get the 2 year warranty to my electronic purchase along with the bass and sure enough my rep would give more discounts to the entire ticket which usually comes to more discounts overall.

That said I don’t buy warranty on bass guitars unless it cover damage.

1 Like