Bass for slappin'

Sire is a very reputable manufacturer overall and the Marcus Miller line is generally pretty well thought of. Never tried one myself though.

2 Likes

Now that was sad, poor kids they really had it rough! Above all the gentleman who had to work each day 29 hours a day.

3 Likes

Paranormal is another Squier Jazz bass that’s really good

1 Like

Sure thing – if you want to know more about the HB, this guy’s video sold me on buying mine, many moons ago:

Great fun to play, I like the jazz neck and HUUUGE amount of room to slap with your pickup way down low like that. Plus the 3-band dials make it super-easy to get a good scoop, or a ton of other sounds.

I spent about $400 on mine and they’ve only gone up in price as they get more rare. The bass itself is a head-turner and people are always asking how I modded it, when it’s 100% stock (except the knobs) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hmmmm…
Fender found a ‘fix’ for the A string angle issue, drop the tuning machine spindle down in height - a bit of a problem though if you upgrade, as you are back to square one.

2 Likes

Sorry @AngelC I mixed up threads. Someone was mentioning they were from Moldova and I thought that was you. So you are the far west of Europe. A little more west from where I was.

There is Miki Santamaria who is a Spanish bass player, you tuber and online instructor (Yamaha player) from Barcelona. I believe he did a review of a Bass store in Spain. If you are into road trips maybe you’d like to check that out. I bought my first Warwick from the Bass Center back when it was in Wapping, UK. It’s nice to go to a shop that specializes in your favorite instrument.

I watch him even though my Spanish is not good but his playing is impressive.

1 Like

Miki is a real monster on the bass. Did you hear of Pepe Bao from Seville, where I’m from? Playing flamenco traditional melodies mixed with slap and tap techniques, he’s awesome:

5 Likes

Haven’t heard of him but I like to discover more talented bassists. Thanks

3 Likes

No way, he’s trolling us! Incredible! If I try to strum the strings that way a horrible mess turns out… I can see it but I don’t understand how he does it!

2 Likes

I had to check this out. Mine does not have such a phenomenon happening with the tuners. Either his is stock and mine’s been modded (really doesn’t sound like the girl in his story would have done any kind of work on the one he has in that video, after all) or he Just got ahold of a weird one :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just looked at a bunch online and one of them are like that.
Could have just run out of the right parts, or someone didn’t care.

1 Like

Hahahaha!! :rofl: I totally subscribe what you say, it must be some kind of wizardry!

Having seen Pepe play live many times with either a flamenco infused setup, his jazz-fusion trio, his funk-rock band O’funk’illo or supporting andalusian rock icons Medina Azahara, the one thing that keeps popping in my head is how the hell is this guy not in the bass international superstardom league…¿?

1 Like

Well I have to openly admit my ignorance, as it happens to me very often (the older I get, the more I discover that I don’t know, strange fact). Thanks for pointing him out in my path! I don’t know about international league, but I surely appreciate him a lot.

1 Like

Really glad you dig him. You can listen to his two solo albums in his YouTube channel https://youtube.com/channel/UCV65go-h2CofvDbRyJ-BWOQ

1 Like

I am listening to the San Javier 2018 concert with my wife right now…I am speechless. How I missed him. And how I miss a good concert live…

1 Like

That full gig is awesome, so many different setups and moods with top-notch playing. Damn right, I also miss them club gigs… :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Pepe Bao is a legend. Thats a Ernie Ball Sterling with Marcus Miller signature on the top right. He is concerned the sharpie is wearing off. Saw Miki Santamaria interview him in https://escueladebajistas.com/

This is what I’m doing post Bassbuzs

2 Likes

I don’t know Pepe Bao but I know Pepe Le Pew

2 Likes

That’s an interesting link, will check it out. I think I saw some video by Miki Santamaria.

1 Like