Bass from Japan

Probably in Japan it is easy to find 32” scale bass guitars. Weird how here they are either 34” or short scale, but medium scale is so rare.

Sandberg has a Configurator tool, so one can choose the specs of the bass, and then you get a code and can order that bass from any dealer. The dealer will place the order with Sandberg and it will take weeks, but you can get what you wanted. Except, apparently the neck is always the same, 34” and the width at the nut seems always the same. It would be awesome if they could make 32” long necks upon request, since the user can choose almost everything else. I suppose they would lose money if they would start making 32” necks if the demand is low. But is the demand low? How can we know for a fact?

Yeah! Yamaha and Ibanez have made a bunch over the years.

1 Like

So, yes, Japan/Tokyo is an Eldorado for basses (and other stuff). And it’s mainly the fantastic breadth of choices that you find there that makes it so attractive.

However, I would only buy Japanese makes or special issues made-for-the-Japanese-market (Fender MIJ instruments). I.e., stuff that is really hard to find anywhere else.

I would not buy a European-made bass (e.g., Mayones or Sandberg) in Japan, as it would be rather non-sensical (to me) to buy something back into Europe that comes from Europe (and now potentially costs a good deal more on account of taxes and customs and other fees).

So, yes, Bacchus, Momose, Atelier Z, etc. (maybe even Yamaha), but not any of the European brands (even though they might have your dream model hanging on their walls ready to be snatched) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

No, I’m not going to Japan. I meant I wish Sandberg would make 32” basses, since it would be so much easier and cheaper to order from Germany.

1 Like

Ah, sorry, didn’t read carefully enough!

Sandberg have the Lionel and the Florence models, which are available in 32 and 30 inch scales, if I am not mistaken…

1 Like

Default is 30". I think the 32" will be a custom request. Florence Nova was 34" :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just love that this thread came up independent from @howard ‘s great work on behalf of visiting bassists the world over.
Nice that we have THE resident expert on the forum.

7 Likes

Awww. We need to get you here to visit :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I know, I’m a bad boy.

3 Likes

I would respectfully, and partially, disagree. I bought two American Fenders from there. Imported basses can work out comically cheap because of the exchange rate. My Fenders were pretty much half price.

That said, I do agree with going to Japan and bringing back something locally made and exclusive to the Japanese market, which is why I also bought two hand-made, Japanese customs.

4 Likes

Might as well just arrange a mass get together for a few months down the road. We can strip Guitar Street like a mob of locusts :rofl:

5 Likes

Imagine how the locals would be puzzled if a large group of bass player tourists all wearing the same BassBuzz T-shirt would visit all the Guitar Street shops together! :grin: And everyone buying some 5 bass guitars or more. BassBuzz would make the news!

5 Likes

Come visit Jörg, that gingerbread Jabba is still there at Kurosawa :rofl:

3 Likes

oh that would be ridiculous fun!! My local vintage music shop occasionally brings back 1960s Japanese basses with they visit over there. I really did not need to know that playing them make me giggle like a kid with how beautifully wonderfully weird some of them are.

2 Likes

And @howard would make a lot of commission :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

If only

3 Likes

Check out Yamaha SBV’s - I low key collect them and have one now. Very quirky, eminently playable and cool instruments, love them.

Best P pickup I have ever heard on the SBV-550, too.

3 Likes

And for a good reason too :rofl:

Would likely not even make a dent in the overall stockpile there :winking_face_with_tongue:

3 Likes

Yeah not sure where they were going with that one

1 Like

What is a gingerbread Jabba? Googling:

:grin: Found it!

It even has a matching headstock. So weird!

3 Likes