Bass Position

Net/net.

You have a right handed bass. Play it the correct way or…

1. Get a left handed bass
  2. Have someone mod this one into a lefty

All lessons will be useless to you trying to play upside down. If you really want to play upside down, get a thing to hang yourself from the ceiling and play that way, it would be easier than what you’re trying to do. :wink:

1 Like

:joy: you guys are vicious.

2 Likes

I know right? XD

3 Likes

If you want to keep that bass then I would recommend having the nut replaced with a left-handed bass nut, and then string it upside down, so when you flip it it is correct.

Or just learn to play right-handed. It will always feel weird at first, and it may just need a setup for you to be able to play it that way.

If you are looking for support for trying to play it with the G string on top, the best I have is sympathy - it’s going to be a rough road.

3 Likes

I figure that’s why I would ask before I get too far…but…I’ll be honest…it hasn’t been too difficult? O.o. I know my strings, and stuff, I just thought the notes would differ or something…but I tried both sides and…they sound the same?…like I said maybe I’m not…good at hearing notes by ear like I said but I dunno!. I do appreciate the comments, I’m learning a lot XD

Could you be more specific about what you mean by the notes sounding the same?

Like…something simple, G string, first fret…well I don’t know it by heart yet…but my chart I been trying to memorize says it should be a G#/Ab. I tried that same string/Fret right and left and it sounds the same to me?

Ahh. Yes, of course this should sound the same. I thought you meant that the G string sounded like the E string to you :slight_smile:

Oh no, i made sure not to make that mistake XD. so their the same? O.o

Great video by the way XD

@cobaltblue13
I’m left handed and have lived in a right handed (bastards!) world for 50 years.
As previously suggested by @John_E and others you have two realistic choices:

1. Play it right handed (that’s how I play)
  2. Buy a left handed bass
    If you do it any other way all the available learning resources on the internet won’t make any sense. Life is challenging enough with out handicapping yourself right at the start of your bass journey.
    Good luck :slight_smile:
6 Likes

How on earth did you end up with a right handed Bass :thinking:

I think you are making things a lot tougher than they have to be.
I think if you leave the strings in the wrong order ie. upside down, you are setting yourself up for frustration and failure.

As others have already said several times.
Either get a left handed Bass, or take the one you have into a luthier and have the nut replaced with a one for a left handed Bass.
Not sure what that is going to cost you but should be under $100 I would think. Get an estimate before having the work done so there are no surprises.

Let us know what you decide :+1:

1 Like

Flipping the nut, the P will be a reverse P pickup. I guess in the grand scheme this shouldn’t matter though really.

1 Like

I dunno!…I went to a music shop…asked if I could look at the Bass’s and this is what he recommended for me XD. said it was a good ‘beginner’ Bass. I didn’t…think about left hand or right hand…I didn’t know…that really made a difference o.o. Whoops!…

1 Like

If this was recently maybe you can return it or at least work something out with the store.
No harm in trying since they recommended the wrong Bass to you.

1 Like

There are players with unique methods, witness Quintin Berry:

However as others have said, the multitude of resources meant to make learning easier will require too much conversion to be of real use to you. For example, unless I’m mistaken your fret markers are on the bottom in this position. (You could add them back using paint or stickers but they’re so helpful I wouldn’t just do without them.)

I would take it back and explain that you want a left-handed instrument. I can’t see a shop refusing a return when their recommendation turned out to be a dud.

2 Likes

Lol yea, I think I seen a video with them before XD. really I think it was more my fault, I wasn’t sure about position or if it ‘mattered’, I didn’t do any research. I just thought I would grab a Bass, and…that was it =/. I don’t think I can now…I bought her August 13th, I think I’m way past the return date XD;

Rats… I thought it was a new purchase.

Well then, if selling it back to them (at a loss no doubt) isn’t desirable, it comes down to what is least difficult for you. Plenty of players more knowledgeable than I have made suggestions above. Find the combination which works best for your needs. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m sorry you ran into this problem so early in your journey but please don’t let it discourage you. It’s a small bump on the way to having a lot of fun. :wink:

3 Likes

Best advice yet

2 Likes

Lol nope!..I should have looked more into it, really ^^;. It’s not a big deal, I’m actually having a lot of fun despite it!..I love this Bass…I really don’t want to get rid of her. I haven’t had her for awhile but….I’m already attached?..so…I wouldn’t dream of trading her in or anything like that. I might…well I’ll sleep on it…but I may try both?..like they said you can learn (to try) to play the right way…like she’s suppose to be XD;. I’ll have to see…I guess…see what happens. What I get for not doing enough research XD. I had ‘no” idea this could happen!

1 Like