Bass Position

Thanks I appreciate that =3 I’m gonna see what happens and if I can play right, the I will, if I play left…so be it shrug. Thanks for your kind words ^^

1 Like

Right, so far I haven’t had a problem with it, I just wanted to ‘ask’ what they thought…maybe I can try both, who knows!. But I swear I’m still picking it up better the way I am playing currently…then again I never ‘tried’ the way I was ‘suppose’ to, so…we shall see! =3

I began this venture back in April without ever having touched a bass. I’m left handed and could have gone with either a lefty bass or a right handed one. I remember becoming so frustrated when I took up golf and found that there were so many sets of clubs that were only made for right handed golfers. I didn’t want to have to go through that again with all the beautiful basses out there and so I bought a right handed bass and have had zero regrets.

Your body has an amazing way of adapting to whatever you throw at it.

4 Likes

Yeah, its our brains that get in the damn way.

3 Likes

How true…I’m adapting right now XD

Hey @cobaltblue13 and all! Interesting discussion! Just thought I’d chime in with my three cents -

100% agree with this. You will have a hell of a time following any instructional materials because they’re all made for basses with the thickest string closest to your face, period. Lefties playing with that same string orientation can easily just flip left/right hand instructions, but flipping string orientation? No way. Not doable. Totally changes the technical experience of the bass.

Like @joergkutter said,

So it’s doable, the question is “should you?”

If you’re the type of person who needs a good amount of support in your learning process, which I would hazard to guess you are since you’re here, this probably isn’t a good approach for you long term.

It’ll feel uncomfortable to switch at first… but so does playing any instrument! I’m extremely confident you could get over the hump in 1-2 months, playing righty (just flip it back over!), or getting a standardly-strung lefty bass.

FWIW, I’m mostly a “lefty” in life, but learned bass righty and never had an issue! Everyone’s bad at bass when they start, might as well do it the way that makes lessons easier to follow and basses cheaper and easier to find. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Then I guess I can’t go with any online ‘classes’ XD. oh well, thanks anyway!

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you are sold on doing it this way?

2 Likes

I was trying to explain but it seemed like no one would listen to me =/

3 Likes

What I saw was a buch of people telling you that what you were doing would be counterproductive to your learning experience. Which I strongly agree with.

You could convert your bass to be able to hold it the way you are, but have the E string at the top as is normal. This would open up a lot of learning resources to you that will otherwise not be available. This way you could keep the bass you like and keep playing it as a left handed instrument, without the handicap of the reversed strings.

2 Likes

I didn’t get that impression at all to be honest.

You feel more comfortable playing Lefty but you have a right handed guitar that you like so you’ve persevered with playing that right handed guitar in a left hand orientation.

I think people have been trying to help you and you’ve been offered four suggested options…

1] Try to learn to play right handed. Many Lefties (including Josh) do this and can adapt within a few weeks or months to the point where this is comfortable and natural for them.

2] Buy a Lefty Guitar. The tool is designed for the purpose it’ll be used for. You’ll have an easier time learning albeit without your current guitar which you like.

3] Mod your guitar for left handed use. This involves a new nut and probably a set of strings. Pretty minor work. This way you can learn in your preferred orientation with your preferred guitar. The strings will now be in the correct orientation and all traditional instruction will make sense.

4] Continue as you are, playing a righty guitar left handed. This results in inverted strings. Everybody has suggested that this will make the learning process more difficult for you (and your instructors) and we’ve only identified one example of another player actually doing this.

So, what did I miss?

Somewhat related, Justing Sandercoe of Justin Guitar revamped his online guitar course a year or two ago. As part of that he forced himself to relearn to play left handed so that his alter ego (Nitsuj) would go through a similar learning process as his absolute beginner students. It’s interesting to watch a professional go through the same learning pains as the rest of us do in the beginning.

Nitsuj Module 1 - Practice 2 | JustinGuitar.com

4 Likes

Just forget it, it’s not a problem for me, I’m learning just fine playing the way I am. I’m tired of going around and around and getting no where =/. So ill play my way and go from there. Thanks though

3 Likes