BB Livestream - What Bass Pedals Should You Actually Buy?

Pedals galore! Good luck with the stream Josh :+1:

5 Likes

:laughing: :rofl: :joy:

4 Likes

Dangit, I’ve already been to Santa twice, this is most ill timed!!!

4 Likes

Ha yeah really.

Yeah, replays are always up on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/@BassBuzz/streams

I probably won’t get into virtual pedals, at least in the main chunk of what I have planned, but might discuss in Q&A time!

To really get into that I’d want to set up for it properly, screen share etc. too.

7 Likes
  1. Is it possible/common/advisable to play pro-level gigs with no pedals at all?
  2. What are the pros and cons of individual pedals vs. multi-effect units?
  3. I don’t want to drill holes or put velcro on my pedals. Is there a good way to put together a pedal board without all this fuss?
  4. What do you think about using a clip-on tuner instead of a tuner pedal, like Laura and Mark from Khruangbin (e.g. at 6:53)?
3 Likes

Good questions! I’ll hit em short now -

Definitely. Most bass no need pedals.

Could be a long answer, but a lot of preference. I like individuals for fun-ness WAY WAY more. Some multi units are kind ‘jack of all, master of none’, but some are amazing like Eventide H9 of course.

Yeah ugh it sucks. I use a Templeboard and the adhesive is constantly failing, thinking of switching over to Velcro. The alternative to either - zip ties! Not so secure/permanent, but good for trying stuff out without commiting.

Works, but only if it’s a really good one, like TC Electronic or Petersen. No Snarks allowed on my gear. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Velcro tape isn’t so bad to take off :slight_smile:

@JoshFossgreen - you might want to warn people to never, ever buy these abominations:

Instant regret the first time you need to pull a pedal off. They look like such good ideas until you realize they are jack destroyers.

10 Likes

I didn’t want them till you showed them to me :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

hahaha. All I can say is, try it with two disposable pedals. These things plus velcro are the debbil.

6 Likes

This is one of those “just cause they can make it, doesn’t mean they should”.

5 Likes

Great shout Howard, when I first saw those I was like “ooh wow so efficient” but then my adult brain kicked in. It’s all about these little dudes for me:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EBSPG10--ebs-pg-10-premium-gold-flat-patch-cable-10cm-angle-angle

(for anyone who didn’t catch it - the photo Howard shared is a bad product because you’ll damage the jack on both pedals every time you step on them. bad bad bad.)

9 Likes

:joy: :rofl: :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

omg the chat moves so quickly i get motion sickness
(not really but jeez you’re trying to talk and pay attention to the chat and play bass and tap dance - that’s a LOT)

Thanks for answering my question! I now want to buy all three pedals you showed us, plus a chorus! Here’s me in my R2D2 Christmas sweater a few years ago. Anyone else got Christmas Sweaters?

12 Likes

I caught the recorded video earlier today. Very informative. Thanks @JoshFossgreen ! I hope to view the next one live.

5 Likes

I found it to be very helpful and took lots of notes.

5 Likes

Finally some love for the delay. Great livestream :+1:

4 Likes

OK I have an actual pedal question, @JoshFossgreen - the Flashback has a looper, but you also have a separate Ditto looper. Is that to keep flexibility in how you order your pedals? Being a Gear/Pedal Noob, I know I wouldn’t want to have to think too hard about using multiple features on one pedal just yet.

4 Likes

@JoshFossgreen tried to rewatch the recording and your audio and video are totally out of sync the entire thing, a good few seconds.

1 Like

I keep missing the live stream but I do watch afterwards!
Also, I can’t believe you posted this after learning about GAS. That convinced me I didn’t need anything new!

3 Likes

I was hoping P-Bass Josh would make an appearance.

Cool sweater though! Way to go uncle Josh!

5 Likes