BEAD pros or cons

Well, I’m taking the plunge…

I ordered a zero fret for my ESP, AND I splurged and ordered those nut files that StewMac sells. I found them on Amazon yesterday for $10 less than they sell for on StewMac, and put them in my cart. Today, I went to complete the purchase, and they had gone back up to the normal price. Now, I’m kicking myself for not ordering them yesterday.
I wasn’t going to purchase the nut files, and instead use some of the other methods / tools that have been recommended, but after watching the video of them on StewMac’s site, I convinced myself these would make the job easier. I’m justifying the cost by thinking how much more it would have cost to buy another 5 string bass.

Yeah, fortunately, I have a year and a half of exclusive 5 string playing under my belt, so that should come back to me fairly quickly.

5 Likes

Yesterday was Prime day on Amazon and many things were discounted. Oh well. Can’t wait to see

3 Likes

What sizes did you get?

2 Likes

Yeah, I got some Diaddrio strings for $14.99 a set.
They were out of EB slinky’s regular, so I decided to try the Diaddrio XL cuz the discount seemed good.

I think yesterday was the first time I ordered from Amazon in about 6 months, all because it was PRIME DAY.
I got Ari’s MT book, the first one also, some Strap Locks, for the Pete Wentz Squire and my LTD Slayer bass, and a new strap that matches both, so I can switch back and forth.

1 Like

The set for the 5 string

3 Likes

I didn’t even know they sold them in sets. The files are each of individual gauge depending on which string you want to use.

Looks like their 5-string set is 0.046", 0.065", 0.085", 0.105", and 0.125". That’s not big enough for the B string I would choose, but you can probably just work it to widen it a bit if you decide to go with 0.130 or 0.135. The other ones seem like normal common sizes though. Or, if you’re splurging, just order an individual 0.130 file too. Probably a waste though; like I said, I just used common cheapo diamond files here and had no issue.

3 Likes

The B string I’m using is 0.128, that’s as fat as I would ever want. No biggie, I can just wiggle the file a bit to widen it. It’ll work.

4 Likes

Yeah that should work fine.

3 Likes

That’s the biggest they sell.
Past that you do some wiggling’ and it’s all good.

4 Likes

Yeah it is, weird. 0.130 and 0.135 are common sizes. Maybe there’s just less market for bass files, even in the tiny niche they target :slight_smile:

3 Likes

String sizes yes, but it is really unlikely to get a .130 slot with a .130 file, or a .135 slot with a .135 file. You would almost certainly add .001 min, up to .005, so it is best practice to file a slot with a file under the size you actually want, if you are worried about precision tolerances.
Here it could probably pass, just saying, in machine shops (and probably most any mfg shop), that is not just common practice, it is best practice.

3 Likes

The fattest flat wound B string LaBella offers is 0.128. Even on their Vintage set, which is generally fatter, the B string is still 0.128.

2 Likes

Yeah they’re kinda spendy, but I got a fiver set a few weeks back and they worked great.

4 Likes

Considering the low B 5-string bass was invented in 1975, it’s a little silly they even have a vintage 1954 set with a low B.

3 Likes

Good point LOL… I hadn’t thought of that, but you’re right. :rofl:

1 Like

That’s interesting. I wonder why so small. Maybe with flats it’s a playability tension issue if you go much larger? IIRC flats are generaly higher tension than rounds, could be wrong though.

2 Likes

And the vintage flats E is .110

My guess is they didn’t want another setup for 1 string that no one should be buying anyway so easier to pack out a 5 sting option this way

2 Likes

I got my nut files that I ordered from Stewart MacDonald. They are all perfect, except for the one for the B string. The file is .125 and my B string is .128.
No biggie though, I’ll just wiggle it around a little bit to make the slot that much wider.

Now, if GoldtoneMusicGroup will ever ship the ZeroGlide nut I ordered, I could get going on this project.

4 Likes

I just added the Zero Fret and filed the nut to BEAD. I added a LaBella Flat .128 for the B string.

She sounds great, and it’s a lot like playing a 5 string (which I’m accustomed to), except without the G string.
I played Billie Jean, and when I hit the bar in which it switches from F# to B, instead of jumping up to the G string (which is now absent), I just moved up 5 frets on the D string to the B. Piece of cake.
On Money, I start on the B at the 7th fret of the E string instead of the 2nd fret of the A string. With the added B string, I’m able to drop down to the F#. Another piece of cake.

Thank gawd I don’t play tab; that would be a disaster LOL
I like this BEAD!

6 Likes

Good for you, Pam @PamPurrs . . . :slight_smile:

Hope you get lots of enjoyment out of that LTD now!

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes