BEAD pros or cons

I’m thinking of going the other way on my 5 string fretless and trying EADGC :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

What is the 4 inch rule?

1 Like

Cut the string 4” past the tuner post to insure you have enough winds on the peg for tuning stability.

2 Likes

Definitely another option, I think Jazz folks like this? High solo potential there.

2 Likes

The way Mark Smith (from whom I learned) explains it, you snip the string approximately 2 pegs past the one you’re installing the string on. That comes pretty close to the 4" rule.

Thank you @PamPurrs I had not seen that one.

On my TRBX504 going 2-3 tuning pegs over, for the overall length, is closer to to 3 inches and nowhere near 4 inches.

I have changed strings dozens of times on my acoustics and electric guitars and Mark’s rule works fine on them but I have never replaced strings on a Bass.

Interesting that Mark recommends replacing one string at a time. I ALWAYS oil the fretboard, check all the screws/bolts, hardware and clean up the body and back of the neck when I replace strings and I was wondering if I need to worry about removing all the strings at once on a Bass, primarily because of the larger string gauges compared to electric and acoustic guitars, which I imagine would put more tension on the neck, but I do not know.

1 Like

Many people here remove all the strings at once, I know @howard does. There are different schools of thought as to whether or not to do it that way.
I tend to do 2 at a time (outside, then inside) that way I have the benefit of retaining tension on the neck, while having the opportunity to clean and oil the fretboard.

1 Like

I remove all the strings to clean and oil the fretboard. I just got bass in via UPS on Friday, and it was shipped without string tension, as it should be. It just takes a day for the neck to come back to shape once you tune it. Doesn’t do any harm for that short period.

And the really short time it takes to change strings I doubt the neck will move. Change them one area time, all together, or somewhere in between. Your preference.

2 Likes

I have had no ill effects of changing them all at once…except on the Gretsch which has a floating bridge that I did not tape off where it came from so I knew where to put it back.
No neck issues though.
Also have taken necks off to remove gloss, no issues.
Some basses I have have the truss rod adjustment at the bottom and all strings must be slacked so that I can tilt the neck up to adjust. Never had a neck issue.

3 Likes

Taking the neck off is a bridge I haven’t crossed yet. I am tempted to do it on my p bass, the heavy gloss is a bit much.

Though I’d I do I might change the neck, get a thicker one and make it sound more p bassy

1 Like

Thank you to @PamPurrs @Wombat-metal @John_E for putting my mind at ease re. removing all the strings at once on my Bass.

2 Likes

Fear not the bass.
Remember what touring musicians (the back of a van kind of touring) do to their gear.

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

“And my double neck that I use with the Sons of Apollo, one bass is normal-tuned, and the other one is tuned down to the B-E-A-D configuration”

So, he’s got a double-necked bass with 8 strings and the same tonal range as a 5 string? That seems like an extreme way to avoid playing a 5 string. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He’s very fond of the curvature of the neck on a four string… or a double neck four string. Yeah, it’s a bit over the top, but then he’s Billy Sheehan and I’m not LOL.

3 Likes