Beginner bass for women

Was it me? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Another consideration - scale isn’t always the deciding factor.
I have a bunch of 34” scale basses, but due to how the body is designed and where the neck sits on the body, the headstock / fret layout is ‘closer in’ or ‘farther out’.
The Frank Bello ESP I just got is a 34” yet the headstock sits a lot closer to me than some of the other basses I have. So much so that I was off by a fret or two at first, but got used to it quickly.

So again, if you can, put some basses in your hands and see. Also ask for a strap and strap the thing on and see where it lies and how it feels on you. At first I didn’t get how important ‘feel’ is and why everyone was going on about it. Granted, ‘feel’ can be compensated for, or can be a limiter for some on what basses they use. YMMV.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @deirdresm
I recently started playing a Hofner as well, after a year and a half of playing heavy, full scale basses. I bought it just to have as a secondary bass, but was pleasantly surprised at the ease of playing and the HUGE tone it produces. The light weight is definitely a nice bonus.
Good luck with your new job. When you do start the B2B course, we are all here to help you along.

5 Likes

Welcome EmK! Another option is a medium scale bass. They have a 32 inch scale, so right between long and short scale basses. Ibanez makes a SRMD200 that’s pretty nice and reasonably priced. As others have said, it’s all about what feels good to you.

6 Likes

Good advice, medium scale is overlooked and it’s too bad because they are really fun to play.

4 Likes