Beginner Class of Winter 2021 - How is it going?

I don’t think I need the video I will try at my own speed with the tab up and once it’s somewhat flowing then try with the video scrolling and see where I’m at.

2 Likes

Finished B2B in March. How’s it going? Well, invited to play with a group that needed a short term bass player to stand-in for their real guy who had a schedule conflict. Real guy was also there; I was a little nervous. They had told me we would play Rockin’ in the free world and Knocking on Heavens door to start. After set up and some chatting, the drummer sits down, starts a count in and…

A steady stream of 16th notes pulse from the bass. The drummer looks up and gives a nod and a smirk and digs in. I’m laying it down. On the 1. Baba baba baba baba BA BA. Awesome.

Knocking on Heaven’s door also goes well.

So how’s it going? Just perfect.

16 Likes

So their regular bass player is now looking for a new band? :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

Right! And then - jk! New YT video shows it’s actually even harder!

5 Likes

Yes I saw that!! which is just wonderful isnt it LOL It was great meeting you on the Zoom hang Laurie!

4 Likes

Just saw that today as well…aaaarrrrggggghhhhhh

2 Likes

When I first saw this, I think it was Marcelo (The Bass Wizard), and IIRC, he wrapped his thumb around to play the lower octave on the E string.
I, physically, can not do that. My fingers don’t stretch enough, and I can’t put my thumb on the E string and fret the first note, without dislocating my finger, or breaking it. (it was not so much that Marcelo played it like that, I don’t think, but he showed video of the real person playing it live, and they wrapped the thumb around for sure)

Then

I watched Davie 504 play it recently, and he did something I never thought of, to use my index finger to fret the 2nd fret on the E string, and the octave on the D string. Certainly I can do that, its a power chord, and I played those all the time on guitar.
So.
The result is, NOW, I play it correctly when I practice it, and it works out pretty well.

1 Like

Ayyy I am on 7th module… Doing great. Things start to intimidate me. A little bit. But I am trying to breathe. Also, after some studying, I think my favorite mode is Phrygian. Maybe it’s because I am mediterranean IDK man it SOUNDS SO NICE. cough ok. Back on track.
xx

3 Likes