This says it all.

Congratulations on the course completion. :+1: :+1: :+1:

6 Likes

Sounds like you crushed it. Good job!

3 Likes

Well done @hibike ,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Great course, I highly recommend it. Josh’s instructional methodology is rock solid, he gets you playing right away, builds on your skills and breaks down complex stuff into bite-sized pieces so that you’re able to keep progressing.

I played in elementary, middle and high school bands (trumpet, not bass) for over 9 years and never learned any of the musical concepts that Josh had us explore. I feel like a confident musician and have found true joy in playing my bass.

Thanks Joss, your ROCK and I do feel like a badass!
Tom

9 Likes

Hell yes! Preach!

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: What Would You Like To See In The Next Course

Is there a perfect system for learning bass? Maybe not a perfect system for everyone, but Beginner to Badass was perfect for me.

I began playing bass and guitar many, many moons ago when the world was young and we all had flowing locks of hair. I played in many bands around town, good and bad and mediocre. Then family, life and finding out you could actually buy things with money got in the way and I became a listener, not a maker of music. The truth was, I never felt I had the talent of some of my more accomplished friends, I never quite developed an ear that could consistently pick out the right key, note or chord like many of my friends could.

It took me years, decades really, to pick up some instruments again and it was this course that helped me see the real truth to my “talent” dilemma. Talent was total BS, to put it in a clear language that everyone here can understand. Those guys that were more “talented” than me simply had more knowledge of theory, they had one or two great teachers, and most important they worked so much harder at it than I did in my teens and early twenties.

So during the pandemic that rocked the world I decided to make some life changes like many of us might have done, and I picked up a guitar, and a bass and another and another…as I imagine many of you know how that story goes. But, there was something missing. Even though much of what I knew before was slowly coming back to me, it wasn’t enough and it wasn’t where I wanted to be. So I took to Youtube, and Fender Play, and more Youtube and more lousy tabs. I kept finding myself going back again and again to the same guy, this rather funny, rather pleasant -and let’s face it- a little bit geeky but totally cool bass guy. Josh.

Straight forward, simple to understand and entertaining. My lovely wife didn’t even mind it when I begged her to watch some of his stuff on Youtube. Eventually it his channel became a regular stop for us, for a laugh, or even some quick knowledge, and she doesn’t even play! So when I took some in person lessons, at a fair expense and I found them underwhelming, I had to try Beginner to Badass.

Right away I kind of felt like I was among my people. While the first few lessons were pretty basic for me I played and practiced everyday with them and made my way through. I think it was by module 5 or 6 that things got interesting. And so much fun. I really appreciated the Nashville numbers system and all of the theory and the start to reading music.

Within a couple of weeks I was surprising myself, picking up bits and pieces of songs on my own. Sight reading simple tabs. Getting a better tone. Not talent, just hard work, a lot of fun and a great teacher. This system just worked for the way I worked. And 5 minutes a day? Forget about it, just pick up the bass, you’ll play more than 5 minutes.

The 50 first song section came in really handy. Tabs I could count on and songs we as bass players are often called on to play, and yes, it’s happened. I can think of at least 10 of those songs that I’ve been called on to play in the few months I’ve been playing with others. Tackling Billie Jean without my fingers cramping up has been a serious accomplishment, and it was this course that led me there.

Like I said, it might not be perfect for everyone, but it was perfect for this newly minted bass player.

Bass Face Forever!
Rollie “Rocky” Rhoades
5/23/22

13 Likes

Well said and verifiably true from my experience. Rock on, Rocky!

5 Likes

All true, this is so well put together.

5 Likes

I respect your game, badass.

3 Likes

A couple of months ago I had no idea what to do with a bass, where to put my hands, how to pluck, where to fret, anything. But after finishing the course, I’m learning songs, improvising simple bass lines from looking at guitar and ukulele chord charts, and starting to write my own dank riffs.

Josh is a fantastic teacher. He’s got the difficulty level perfectly dialed in such that every module is challenging but within reach. His communication skills, clarity, and on-camera demeanor are everything you’d want from a teacher in any course. And I love that he doesn’t merely lecture you, show you something, and then send you off on your own to learn it. The way he incorporates practice into the workouts gives you opportunity to practice without making it feel like homework.

I’ll continue to learn from Josh on his YouTube channel, and the second he releases another course, I will be happy to throw my money at him. This has honestly been one of the best educational experiences of my life.

8 Likes

Good review, @gregvan. Glad you’re enjoying the course. Now pop over to the Introduce Yourself thread so the B2B gang can welcome you to the family. :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks so much, Josh for turning me into a bass badass! I am 26 and have (or I should say HAD) no musical experience whatsoever. Now after completing the course, then going through it a second time I feel confident in loads of theory stuff and can now play a couple of songs from the list of 50.
Josh breaks everything down simply so its easy to understand and when introducing a new topic, will give an overview/reminder of anything we need to know for this topic that we had previously learned. So even forgetful people can stay on board.

The only thing I feel I’m missing now is the ability to tune my bass to different notes. I would love a module where we learn how to get say a Drop D or something.

Thanks so much and looking forward to the next course!

9 Likes

Drop D is super easy. Hook your tuner to the bass, then take the “E” string, and loosen the string until D is in tune (instead of E). Voila, you’re in Drop D

5 Likes

I enjoyed every minute of this course. I never felt bogged down with overly complicated theory or jargon. The course was very focused on “Here’s a thing, this is why it matters, and this is how you do it.” Josh is an excellent teacher and this course is very much worth your time and money.

8 Likes

Yep, exactly! That seemingly simplistic approach is Josh’s superpower. He seamlessly blends content with charm and entertainment.

Congrats on the course.

4 Likes

Just completed B2B, learned a lot of new concepts and had a ton of fun along the way. Josh is an excellent teacher who explains difficult subject matter in an easy-to-understand way. I really enjoyed Josh’s knowledge and positivity throughout the series. I highly recommend B2B.

7 Likes

Completed B2B last week. I have come so far since the beginning. I now can hang with a jam. I can play 12 bar blues, and I can come up with some interesting bass lines. Josh’s style of teaching seems to click very well with us beginners. He teaches just enough per lesson to hold your interest. Then he uses what you have learned to help you play a song. First teacher I have ran across that actually taught me something in a long time. I highly recommend Josh and think he can provide anyone with a solid foundation to being whatever type musician you want to be.

12 Likes

im just about done with the course and will immideately do it all over again, but this time making sure i can nail the fast workout in every lesson - even billie jean; i feel like i have a lot more to pick up.

my one criticism is that while i love @JoshFossgreen’s bedside manner (bass side manner?) - jokes, what he has to say, etc… - i do find him chatting over some of the workouts/exercises to be very distracting. i get that when playing on stage there will be a ton of distractions but as im learning sometimes that chatter makes me loose time, or miss notes, etc… this may be more of a me thing than a josh thing.

6 Likes

How dare you criticize our bass guru…just kidding. I think sometimes Josh’s chatting is done purposely to allow us to try and concentrate through the distractions of him talking. Especially in the ultimate groove workout. He chats the entire time while the beats are going on and if you can keep good time while that is happening you have got your groove. I can see that it can be distracting at certain points but personally, I did not mind at all.

10 Likes