Beginner to Badass Reviews? šŸŽø

Itā€™s generally the first thing people ask after finishing the course. Which is actually quite a solid review in a nutshell.

6 Likes

Thank you for not getting too tired to answer on that question :'D
(even if it means some time loss and that again means more waiting time on Vol.2ā€¦
-what have i done?!- )
I bet the main problem is coming up with a title after already getting someone to badass with vol.1 - what will the next course do to one?! :smiley:

So even if i canā€™t really work with Vol.1, as i liked the style Iā€™ll recommend BassBuzz and B2B to everyone having just* picked up the bass (*again), especially when they seem a bit intimidated by it. And even though i gotta ā€œrelocate my resourcesā€ at the moment, i also wait and hope for Vol.2 to pick me up early.

Thanks again for your work here, may it take as long as it needs. When all plays out well on my side Iā€™ll also check your next course out and if it fits- it fits. So maybe Iā€™ll get the joy of asking you when Vol.3 will arrive! Maybe you hire someone to answer these questions? ;D

Best wishes - to You, the BassBuzz Team and all of you fellow beginners and other followers of BassBuzz - see you later! (& meanwhile on YT ;D)

4 Likes

Hi Josh: I think this is a wonderful course and I highly recommend it. Not many instructors are funny but engaging when they teach and I like that you give us both. Someone with no experience can pick up this course and a bass for the first time and start following you in the lessons, and by the end of the course youā€™ll be playing well.

7 Likes

Iā€™ll try to keep this short, since most of what I can say has already been said many times in earlier reviews.

• The course is awesome.
  • @JoshFossgreen is a benevolent alien who has been placed amongst us to lead us out of darkness by playing bass. I can think of no other explanation for his talent, intelligence, teaching capabilities, pleasant attitude, and overall awesomeness.
  • Iā€™m not enumerating any negatives because there were very few, they were all minor, they have been mentioned in previous reviews, and Josh has already acknowledged them and said they will be addressed in any future B2B versions.

In case itā€™s useful to others contemplating whether or not to sign up, here is my personal experience:

1. I turn 70 later this year, and thought I might be nuts trying to pick up an instrument this late in life. WRONG! I may not be able to remember where I parked my car, but Iā€™ve had no problem keeping up with the course.
  2. I have some musical background: I played drums in my teens and 20s, and have aimlessly noodled with guitar ever since. This experience was helpful for certain lessons, but it is NOT a requirement. Josh assumes you are starting from scratch, and a lot of B2B students sign up with absolutely zero musical background.
  3. Like any other course or self-improvement program, you will get out of it whatever you put into it. But everything is handed to you on a silver platter. The only thing Josh canā€™t do is telepathically force you to learn all this stuff in your sleep with no effort. Heā€™s done just about everything short of this, however.
  4. Bottom line: the B2B course is the best thing Iā€™ve ever spent US$200 on.
10 Likes

I want to start by saying Josh is a class act and his teaching style is on another level. You[Josh] said it was an honor to teach, I feel like it was an honor to learn. You cracked open the mystical world of music for me and I cannot thank you enough.

When I made the decision to purchase this course, I had been spending time watching YouTube videos about complete novice bass lessons sans instrument. Thatā€™s when I stumbled upon Joshā€™s YouTube. Seeing his free content and getting a taste of the way he explains important details gave me the confidence go out and buy my first musical instrument. I knew before I purchased the course that Iā€™d understand everything Josh was bringing to the table.

The beginning modules felt fairly easy, which was encouraging. By the time we got to billy Jean I was having to take my time with it and smooth out the details to a level I was happy with at the fast speed (just my preference of competency). So there was quite a lot to practice and get out of each lesson.

Once I had gotten through the scales and diatonic chord stuff, something clicked. I felt that I had a deeper understanding of the music I listened to on a daily basis. I find myself counting along just out of force of habit. Now I can feel the pulse of the song, including the one count. Which is something I recently recognized. So in the spirit of marking your achievements, Iā€™ve come quite a distance in groove and feel in these last few months. Thanks for that Josh.

Of course, weā€™re all patiently waiting for a part two - myself included. But while we give Josh the time he needs to work on a follow up course while simultaneously living his own life, I would highly recommend giving Victor Wootenā€™s audiobooks a try. He takes a very metaphysical approach. If you can vibe with it, there are a lot of very interesting concepts he brings to the table.

Clearly I give the course 5/5, and with a 5 month payment plan itā€™s a no-brainer.

P.S. Iā€™m currently shopping for a distortion pedal to put the finishing touches on my tone for Hysteria. :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

Hi @DavidGreen. Consider telling everyone a bit about yourself on the https://forum.bassbuzz.com/t/introduce-yourself-2023/ thread so everyone can welcome you to the gang.

7 Likes

Absolutely!

1 Like

Iā€™m a big fan of my Zoom B1x Four. Its about $120 new, and you can find used ones on reverb. Its certainly not professional grade. But itā€™ll give you most of the functionality you want immediately; including all your effects, a looper, and a drum machine with tons of variation. Its probably one of the most perfect beginning multipedals out there.

3 Likes

I can also personally attest that the Hysteria preset on the Zoom B2 Four is spot on perfect by my ear.

3 Likes

Hi, I just finished the course and I have to say I was very impressed. I am 46 and the last time I picked up a bass was in high school. I felt that the program was well thought out and gave you everything in nice little digestible bites. @JoshFossgreen I found your teaching style to engaging and you really made it fun, thank you. Now, stop threatening us all with a good time and put out the intermediate class! Lol

7 Likes

Canā€™t thank you enough @JoshFossgreen!

Like many others here, I looked around for learning videos as a beginner bassist, I got a 3-month access to fender online lessons, while useful, they just felt off.
I looked around on youtube and found your great videos, and I was hooked into getting B2B, it was like day and night! Your teaching style is fantastic, you teach topics that would take 100s of repetitions in just a few fun riffs from popular songs.

The slow-mid-fast workout system was fantastic, and really showed me how anyone can learn a super complex thing if you just slow it down enough, I do that for every thing I try to learn, and just days after graduating, I learned several nice songs that even some veteran friends mention they struggled with!

The slap module is, great, though I felt the exercises may have been a bit hard, or maybe I just struggled with slap. Even then, it set me up really good to improve my technique by doing the exercises, which were plenty of fun.

The whole course sets you up to feel really ready for anything that may come your way. The theory bits in particular have been incredibly useful, as I see seasoned bass players struggle with random combinations, while you showed us many techniques for great bass fills, without the guessing. It really does leave you feeling like a badass!

The masterclasses are a great epilogue to the course, showing that we still got PLENTY to learn, and motivated me to keep a learner mindset. That alongside your intros showed that we all have a lot to go, but you gave us the tools to get there.

Bottom line: best purchase Iā€™ve done, I will recommend this to any aspiring bass players. Thanks again Josh! Looking forward to continue learning with your old and new videos!

11 Likes

Had a blast with this course. Not only did it teach me how to play bass but improved my guitar playing and overall musicianship. Best money I spent. Canā€™t wait for Begginer to Badass 2.

11 Likes

Congrats @JoseMtz and @jdunat !

4 Likes

I highly recommend this course to anyone wanting to learn bass. I went to two different teachers here in town, and spent $100 a month for four 30 min lessons each month over the course of several months with each of them. I learned so much more from taking the Beginner to Badass course here on BassBuzz for a fraction of the price. I couldā€™ve saved a bunch of money by just coming here first, and consider the price of Joshā€™s lessons the best investment Iā€™ve made since taking up the bass. If youā€™re interested in learning the bass, do yourself a favor and start here. Youā€™ll get a solid foundation to build on, and Josh is a really fun person to learn from. 5/5 Stars

9 Likes

I played bass in highschool for three years and loved it even though i was self taught with a book then thrown head first into the senior band. I picked up a lot of bad habits and didnā€™t learn the bass properly. The Badass Bass Course changed all of that. After finishing the course I know for sure that I re-learned playing the bass properly. Josh is a great instructor. He takes you by the hand so to speak and takes you from the very beginning. I easily understood every module in the course and the course was very easy to learn, but was challenging as well.

10 Likes

Just finished up the course today, Iā€™m glad I did it too.

I wonā€™t lie, I went into this with quite low expectations, ā€œhow good could an online course beā€ was rattling around my head when I was pondering the purchase.
Iā€™m not sure why but I decided to dive in deep and give it a shot, I can assume now that I actually think back, that my curiosity got the better of me. All I saw online were positive reviews, being a complete beginner myself all these people across the internet praising Joshā€™s course had me both skeptical and intrigued.

The structure was quite impressive, I felt like I was actually progressing as I moved through the course. I approached it with the fast tracked recommendation. Initially doing 6 or so lessons a day to get through the early material, it all felt a bit trivial to me and when I hit a certain part of the course (billie jean) was when I slowed down to the recommended 3 lessons + practice lessons a day for this speed.

The only complaint was near the end the music sheets and tab came up too late and I had to replay a few segments for my brain to actually lock onto what was being said, the extra visual guidance would have helped immensely.
Now this is only a few small areas of the course and they came in relatively later on.

Everything else felt amazing, Iā€™m glad I gave Josh and his team a chance with this site and course material. Itā€™s truely something special he has created here and Iā€™m eager to follow whatever he does from now on.

Highly recommend this course to anyone wanting to get into playing bass, itā€™s all a bit scary and daunting but once you get going with this course it all flowā€™s incredibly well, even if you are like me and move above the speeds of the higher speed course layout.

Keep up the amazing coursework Josh and I hope many others get what I got from this course. My fundamentals and beginner skills are solidified in some more stable theory and knowledge than if I would have tried to self learn.
Iā€™m glad for that, truely. My future playing bass can be supported by the roots grown from the knowledge passed along in this course.

9 Likes

There, I gone and done it, I signed up today, after becoming a member here about a week ago. Being completely self taught on the bass, I look forward to having some proper guidance that will hopefully also instill the self discipline, I know I can be lacking.
What also made me decide to sign up, is the overwhelming positive reviews that BB has become. I hope to become one of them myself! Today is the first day in the rest of my life.

14 Likes

This will be best money you ever spend for playing bass.

10 Likes

Thatā€™s a solid investment. Pretty hard to go wrong with it. The money spent here and the time learning playing fundamentals pays huge dividends. I would have considered this course a value at three times the price.

8 Likes

:100:

8 Likes